Sunday, September 14, 2014

Keep it Simple, Stupid!

My high school soccer coach was always telling us not to make things more complicated than they needed to be. Don't force a pass; make the pass that makes the most sense. So he was always shouting at us from the sidelines: "KISS!!" which was Coach Voss shorthand for, "Keep Is Simple, Stupid!!"

I have been thinking a lot this summer about "keeping it simple, stupid." That is, I have wanted to simplify my life. I know this sort of thing sometimes happens in response to major illness, so maybe that is why. Or maybe it is because we have only lived in our house for a year, and already, by virtue of combining two households and never quite finishing unpacking, there are piles of things in corners with nowhere to live permanently. Or maybe it is because we are redoing our closet, and in my dreams, when it is done, our clothes will suddenly all fit in the one closet instead of being spread across the three bedroom closets, but in reality I know that probably isn't true.

Whatever the reason, this summer has been one in which I have tried to simplify life a bit. This has happened in a number of ways:

Cooking from scratch: This actually came from several other desires, which I have been planning to outline in another blog post sometime. The relationship of this to living simply is that when I cook from scratch, I know what food is going into our meals, and that makes me feel closer to and more in touch with it. This summer, I have been taking advantage of the abundance of locally grown food in this area, which I can get at any number of nearby farmers markets, at food stands along the road, or at our grocery store, which each week brings in some vegetables from a local farmer. I will tell you, knowing the freshness of the food, and knowing it only traveled a few miles to get to my plate, makes the food taste so much better! They always say that, but it is really true.

Walking: I am proud to say that I have gone for a walk or a run almost every day since this spring. I played year-round soccer and other sports growing up, so never had to make an effort to get additional exercise. After all my surgeries and the physical limitations that came with them, I have really felt the need to move and get back my strength - and to my surprise I have really enjoyed it. The discipline of rolling out of bed and into my running shoes has added a nice structure to my morning, and really my whole day. It gives me a reason to start the day with something that requires me to breathe. It gets me out and a part of my neighborhood (and see my neighbors!). I have also made an effort to walk places like the grocery store, to restaurants, etc. whenever I can, which makes me feel even more a part of the neighborhood, and saves gas. I haven't lost a lot of weight, but several people have commented that I look healthier, more fit. But most of all, I love that I am doing something that humans used to do all the time, but have stopped doing much of at all. I take delight in counting my steps (or rather, letting a pedometer do it), to hold me accountable. Breathing in the sounds and smells and sights of my neighborhood has made me feel deeply a part of it, and even when I don't want to go, there is an underlying pleasure and delight about that.

Clothing Purge: This is what got me started naming these practices "simplicity." I read one little article about having only 33 items of clothing per season, and I was intrigued. I read more and more. Everyone who had tried it said, "I love fashion and shopping, and I never thought I could do it, but now that my closet is nearly empty, I feel liberated. Where I never had anything to wear before, now that I have less, I always do, because I love everything I own!" I want that, so much. So while I haven't gotten anywhere near 33 items, I filled three garbage bags of clothes to give away, some full of clothes I haven't worn in years. It has been a beautiful practice of letting go of this scarcity mindset, always thinking, "But what if I need that?" and also a good practice in recognizing what is needed, and what just fills a spot. Having a positive memory attached to it is no longer a reason to keep a shirt I never wear. If a pair of pants fits, but doesn't make me feel really good to wear it, it goes away. My new criteria is, if I don't feel great with this on, then it is going away. (This becomes even easier when I realize I bought that article at a thrift shop 5 years ago - so it is okay to let it go now!) I never thought I could be so content with less.

Time to Read: One of my professional goals this year was to carve out some time in my work week to read work-related books as professional development. I haven't been great at it, but every single time I do pull it off, I am better for the effort. Books truly offer a window into a world outside your own. I have rediscovered the joy of curling up with some tea and a good book and a dog, and spending hours reading. It is such a lovely way to be quiet. 

Praying Outside: One of the selling points for our house was the large, screened in back porch. It wasn't on our wish list, but since we have it, we are determined to use it. And used it we have! We splurged on a nice, comfy set of patio furniture, and I have lived out there this summer. One way I have done this is to take my cup of tea out in the morning, and do morning prayer amidst the sounds of nature and neighbors. How much easier it is to pray for things and people whom you are actually experiencing as you pray! I have also been attending our prayer group at one of my churches, which, during the summer, has been meeting in the morning in our new prayer garden. This, too, has been a beautiful experience, to gather with my people in the midst of God's creation and pray for our community. 


Gardening: I had dreams of a large raised bed garden in our yard, but one of the very things we loved about the neighborhood - shade and trees - makes that difficult. So I settled for one tomato plant, some basil, and some parsley. The experience of going outside and pulling some basil and mixing it with a fresh tomato, or including some fresh parsley in a salad, has been the very definition of simple joy. What a miraculous thing to grow your own food and eat it - garden to plate! 

Sewing: I have a zillion friends having babies, and so I have been busy in my dedicated sewing room making things for them. I've made a lion, a bear, a monkey, two manatees, and a quilt. For each one, I pray with each stitch for the baby and family who will possess it. I have always wanted to be someone who makes things for people, and it is everything I hoped it would be. It feels so good not to give into consumerist culture and instead to make things with my own two hands. Michael has been doing something similar in his wood shop, making gifts for people he cares about, and has the same experience. Why did we ever get away from these crafts?

I continue to strive for ways to be more simple. It will be interesting to see how that might play out with kids in our lives someday. We are both completely uninterested in having every possible baby thing, and want to keep baby accessories to a minimum, but the reality is we have a lot of people in our lives who will want to shower us with baby goodies. So we'll see on that - but meanwhile, I'm doing my best to Keep It Simple, Stupid!

No comments:

Post a Comment