Monday, May 4, 2015

Sermon: Staying connected to the vine (May 3, 2015)

Easter 5B
May 3, 2015
John 15:1-8

            Today’s Gospel is one of those texts that starts out fine, with this very accessible image of a vine – an image that fits well with our delight in spring finally coming, and growth, and life – but then quickly moves to images that are far less comfortable. Images of pruning, and cutting off branches, and removing, and burning in the fire. Oh, how I’d rather just focus on that nice agricultural stuff, that growth, and pretend Jesus never said anything about removing anything or
anyone who was, so to speak, “doing it wrong.”
            On the other hand, I suppose I’m glad Jesus included those less nice bits in there as well. When I first was learning how to write sermons, I was told to pay attention to the things that irk me, that bother me, that make me uncomfortable, because that’s probably where my sermon is. Because that’s probably where the Holy Spirit is trying to say something to me, and if it is something I need to hear, it is likely something someone else needs to hear as well. And so, I suppose this is a text for all of us who are wandering through this life of faith and trying to figure out what it is God wants us to be doing and when and how. It is the perfect text for anyone who has ever prayed a prayer I know I have prayed so often: “What do you want from me God? What next? What now? Please tell me what to do!” (Anyone else ever prayed that?)
            So looking together at this text, if we can can get past the initial fear of all this pruning and removing and burning of branches, we can see that the heart of this text is not destruction and removal, but growth, nourishment and promise.
            Even though it comes later in the text, let’s start with that pruning and fire stuff, because for me at least it is that part that catches me up a bit. Now, let me start by putting this out there: I don’t nor have I ever claimed to be a gardener – on the contrary, I have killed probably ¾ of the plants I have ever had. But in retrospect, I think the reason I have killed so many plants is that I am never sure when and how much to prune them, and so they get tired, they put too much energy into things that don’t bring life, and they shrivel up and die. I’m always afraid to cut anything, but as it turns out, pruning is necessary for things to grow strong and fruitful.
Courtney Martin tells a story about her neighbor teaching her to prune apple trees. She writes: “[She] showed me how each branch of the tree can only reasonably support two apples. You have to go, branch by branch, and pluck off little baby apples until every branch has only as much as it can support. It felt sad to me at first, twisting off these hopeful little apples and dropping them into a bucket. They amassed quickly, collectively robbed of possibility… But then I looked over and
watched as [my neighbor] pruned without fanfare, gentle and direct. She had lived long enough to know that in order for some things to thrive, some things must die.”
            Oh, this is a hard message for me to hear. Twice this week I have had conversations about this with my dear husband, who was saying to me that his worry for me is my insistence on being Super Woman, on doing it all and doing it all well, and that because of it I will burn out. My secret worry is not that my investment in my call or my hobbies will burn me out – I love all those things after all, and often they bring me life. Rather, my worry is that I will become so focused on doing the day-to-day tasks that life requires (whether job, health, family, or even pleasure-related), many of which are not life-giving, yet I still obsess over doing them perfectly… and then not leave time simply to be nurtured by my one true vine, Jesus Christ. When I get stressed out by life or my schedule, I’d like to say I am driven directly into prayer, but the truth is that what always seems to get squeezed out first is my focused, intentional prayer time. Oh, I still try to squeeze it back in here or there – you know, while I’m doing something else, like falling asleep, or driving a car – but just in those times when I need God the most, I suddenly don’t have the time to just sit and be with God.
            It is with this recognition of my human nature that I can return to this challenging text and see it not as fire and destruction, but as promise and hope. “I am the true vine,” says Jesus, “and my Father is the vine grower. He removes every branch in me that does not bear fruit.” Suddenly the promise that God would remove from my life, from my heart, from my mind, all the junk that does not bear fruit is no longer fearful, but a relief. How many times have you been awake at night, fretting about this or that item on your to-do list, or this or that person who is making life difficult, or this or that circumstance that has to be dealt with. None of those frets bears one bit of fruit in our lives, and they need to be pruned, removed. And the only way for them to be removed and tossed into the fire is to be in touch with our source of life, our vine, our God.
I remember once, when I was very far from home, receiving a phone call in the middle of the night with horrific news, news that devastated me, and there was nothing I could do about it. I called my parents, and my dad (who was also my pastor) advised me, “Pray yourself back to sleep.” Connect with God. And that is what I did. As I lay there with a pained heart, I prayed more ardently than I ever had before. I clung more adamantly to the one thing that could bring me back to life: the
one true vine.
And so here my heart rests on the promise that follows this opening statement about the vine: “Abide in me as I abide in you.” Not just a command – “abide in me, or else” – but a promise – “as I abide in you.” Abide in Christ – through prayer, through study of scripture, through worship, through quiet solitude, through listening. And remarkably enough, we find, as we abide in Christ, that Christ was there all along, abiding in us, nourishing us, sustaining us, helping us to bear fruit.
Of course, faith is not an individual sport, and neither is striving to abide in Christ. One of the most powerful ways we do that is in the worshipping community. Here we gather around the Word, which so often finds ways to both comfort and challenge us, sometimes simultaneously, but always in the end to lead us to life. We gather around the font, where we first hear that we belong to – abide in – Christ, in which we are promised that our sins are always forgiven (or we could say, they are
Word and Sacrament
pruned and burned), and by which we are tied and connected with the whole Christian community. And of course we also gather around Christ’s table, where we hear again and again the story of a loving God and experience through all of our senses God’s abiding in us, alongside all of our brothers and sisters from all time and place, fellow branches along the vine of Christ. In and around these gifts of life, we find the strength and sustenance we need to find our way through our own trials and struggles, and to be God’s good fruit in the world.

Let us pray… Abiding God, you have named your people branches on Christ, the vine. When we struggle to know what you would have us do, help us to remember your promise: that you will nourish and sustain your people, and that in all we do, you abide in us. In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment