Monday, July 6, 2015

Sermon: Boasting in weakness (even when you know you're right) (July 5, 1015)

Pentecost 6B
July 5, 2015
2 Corinthians 12:2-10
             Besides the 4th of July, one of the exciting times to be an American, and especially if you are at all a political nerd, is when all the Supreme Court decisions start to come out. This has happened the last couple weeks, and this year there have been some doozies. Perhaps the biggest doozy of all is the Supreme Court’s decision on same-gender marriage, namely, that all 50 states are now required to acknowledge and allow marriages between two partners of the same gender.

            The response to this decision, especially among Christians, has been dramatic. Some are concerned that this goes against the Bible. Some aren’t on board with it religiously speaking, but constitutionally see no issue with the decision. Some are delighted by the outcome, believing this is an important step in our continuing effort to live into this country’s claim to have equality for all people. Whatever your particular stance on this issue, I want to tell you briefly what the ELCA’s stance is, as it was carefully studied recently and outlined in a document called, Human Sexuality: Gift and Trust (which you can download from the ELCA’s website). Basically, it says we agree to disagree. There are so many varied opinions among those in this church, and biblical mandate is not as clear as it may appear on the surface, but still we strive to be the church together. And so we commit to being in continued conversation with one another – on this and on any divisive issue that may come up – and speak respectfully and encouragingly with one another. To that end, if you would like to speak with me about it, or would like to start a discussion group on the topic, please do.
            Meanwhile, I have been applying the values that the social statement lays out beyond my engagement with my immediate congregation. A friend of mine recently posted very articulately her opinion on the matter on Facebook. What ensued was a very lengthy thread, which broke into even more threads, perpetuated by some of her more conservative friends on one side and her more liberal ones on the other. Now I consider myself to be sympathetic to both sides of the argument, so I thought getting involved sounded like fun, and a good way to exercise my theological muscles in a different way from usual, and with a different audience. So I read through the comments, picked up on some red flags, and commented on those. What followed was a long debate with a man whose
views could hardly be more different from my own, and the conversation turned into one more about biblical interpretation more generally than about this particular issue.  
It started off sort of fun, and mutually respectful. But as time went on, I sensed his tone start to change from one of thoughtful debate, to one of snark and arrogance. I was really turned off by his certainty that he knew exactly what the Bible said and what it meant, and what God intended. Even as he easily dismissed my thoughtfully formed approach to biblical study, he boasted about his own formation and perspective in a way that came off not as confidence in the truth and promise of the Word, but rather as arrogance, almost as if he knew as much as God. Where I suggested the value of approaching scripture with a question in your heart, ready to hear what the Spirit might be saying today, he said there is no question in scripture, because it is God’s Word. Where I expressed concern about claiming to understand everything about scripture because such a claim puts limits on God and assumes to know and understand something we by definition cannot understand, he insisted on the meaning of several individual passages. Where he said, “I stand 100% on the Bible,” I countered with, “I stand 100% on the gospel of Jesus Christ.” Each response he offered, it seemed, included a not-so-subtle dig at me or at the validity of my faith. Needless to say, I eventually excused myself from the conversation (as did he) saying his unwillingness to treat me and my faith with respect was no longer fun, and certainly not worth my time and energy.
            The reason I share this story with you is that, as I have been thinking about it and processing it, I have done so especially in light of our epistle reading today from Paul’s second letter to the
The Apostle Paul, writing from prison
Corinthians. This is one of those passages that at once frustrates and encourages me. Paul writes, “On my own behalf I will not boast, except in my weakness.” It frustrates me because of this idea of boasting in my weakness – what fun is that?! Sometimes in an argument or discussion, don’t you just want to whip our your credentials to put someone in their place? (I certainly wanted to, with Facebook guy!) Don’t you want to tell the person or people, “Listen, I have a lot more experience in this than you do, so give it a rest and just listen to me.” Surely, it’s the argument to end all arguments. And yet Paul is telling us no? To boast instead in our weakness? How do you win an argument with something like, “I don’t actually know anything about this”? And yet, boasting in weakness is exactly what Paul says, and in several different ways.
            That’s what frustrates me, but I said this passage also encourages me, and that is because, as Paul writes a few verses later, “I will boast all the more gladly in my weakness, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.” Ah, now here is something to consider. He offers this wisdom in light of the “thorn in his flesh.” Scholars have gone crazy over this autobiographical bit, trying to figure out what that proverbial thorn is – a physical ailment? A speech impediment? Or is it the power of sin? No one
Possibility for a thorn in flesh??
knows, and it’s the only time it is mentioned.  
But maybe it is better not to know, because when I hear it, because it is left undisclosed, I automatically insert my own “thorns” into its place. Oh, how many thorns I have prayed to God to take out of my own flesh – illnesses that leave me or my body in a state I dislike, realizations that there are some things I am just not very good at, people in my life who drive me nuts or outright hurt me with their words or actions, situations that persist in wearing me down. I’m sure you have your own thorns, some trivial, some big and persistent. Paul says it is his own thorn in his flesh that has helped him to realize that at the end of the day, he doesn’t have a leg to stand on if he were to rely to on his own gifts and skills and understanding. It is only by the power of Christ that he is able to do anything at all.
            And if we are so busy showing off our shiny armor or our colorful feathers or our sharp minds… then where is there space for Christ’s power to be revealed through us and to be made known to anyone else? It harkens to another wonderful writing of Paul’s, earlier in this same letter, in which he talks about us being clay pots, vulnerable to breaking and cracking, such that we must rely on the strength of Christ to hold the beautiful and life-giving truth of the gospel.
            If you’re like me, relying on the strength of Christ is easier said than done. You see, I know my gifts, and I know my limits, and if I just focus on doing things I’m good at, then I know I can be successful. But deep down I also know – I cannot be successful without Christ’s power. And the more we rely on our own strength and knowledge, the less room there is for the power, the love, the grace of God to come into us and transform us, to move us, to make us grow, to help us see God at work in the world.
            This humility Paul calls for, whether brought on by some thorn in our flesh or just by deep, thoughtful prayer – it is a hard word to hear. But it is an important one, especially as we as a country continue to have some tough conversations – about race, about sexuality, about health care, about
institutions we have embraced a certain way for many years, about peace, justice, and equality. This humility is important to remember as we engage with one another, lovingly and respectfully. Just as Christ’s ultimate power was made known to us in his weakness on the cross, it is in our weakness that we are able truly to display the ultimate power of Christ, in us and through us. And it is by his strength alone that we will, eventually, find peace.

            Let us pray… Gracious God, we are often so tempted to boast in ourselves, in our knowledge, in our gifts – even as we know that it is all, in the end, your power of which we boast, not our own. Help us to leave space in our hearts for your love and power to shine, to see our struggles as opportunities to better hear you, and in all things to boast more of your strength than of our own. In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment