Monday, May 2, 2016

Dear 8-month-old Grace

May 2, 2016

Dear Grace,

I got this, Mom.
This morning we ate breakfast together, as we often do. You are a pro now at eating solid foods, and eagerly open your mouth and even try to chase the spoon if I don’t move quickly enough. (You can also feed some things to yourself, so mealtimes are usually a combination of the two.) After you indicated you were done, we just sat there and chatted for a while. You made all sorts of different sounds with your voice, and I mimicked them back to you and surprised you with a kiss somewhere on your head, and you grinned and guffawed, delighted by the game. Then you discovered that if you
bounced in your chair, which is clipped to the table, the whole table would shake. So for several minutes, you bounced and giggled with delight at your power. And I sat there, laughing heartily as I watched you enjoy this thing called life.

Ooo, what's this dangerous thing I could get my hands on?
After breakfast, you clearly had some wiggles to get out, so I let you crawl around the living room. Your favorite spot to be is in Klaus’s bed, and it takes you approximately 20 seconds or less to get there from any point in the living room. Problem is, Klaus’s bed is not the cleanest part of the house, and just watching you look interested in his half-chewed raw hides and start to put them in your mouth gives me the heebie-jeebies. (You have a knack for finding the dirtiest things in the room to put in your mouth – you’re an
especially big fan of shoes.) There are also many wires behind his bed, which you also love to put your mouth on. So we have been teaching you, “No,” but each time we try to redirect you, you find a way back to your favorite spot.
Now THAT is fun!

You are such a wiggly worm! I tried to take a picture of you in your outfit that Grammy MayMay gave you, but I could not get you to sit still for more than half a second to actually snap the picture. Way too many things to explore!

Lucky for you (but not us!), your determination to see and explore has given you great incentive to work on your mobility. You’re an efficient crawler (though still not on all fours – you prefer to scoot), you can pull yourself all the way into a standing position on your own, and yesterday we watched as you tried to crawl into your car seat, as if to say, “I’m ready for an adventure – let’s go!” I’ve recently discovered that if I leave a basket of laundry sitting out, you will use all the convenient hand holds on the basket to pull yourself up, then happily dig through the laundry – so many socks, and without
nearly the work required to get to them as the ones on your own feet! This provides several minutes of entertainment for you, until your little legs need a break, you flop back on the floor (but never cry about it, no matter how many times you bump your head into that pesky floor), and search for something else to get your hands – and mouth – on.

7 months with my favorite lamb!
You have certain songs that you love to hear – every time I sing, “You’ve got to get up every morning with a smile on your face!” (Carole King), you grin at me and start kicking your little legs in excitement – and lately you have started again to try to sing along. Sometimes if I’m not singing, you look at me very intentionally as you sing, as if trying to tell me, “Mom, we’re singing now. It’s time
What?
to join in.” Oh Grace, if you grow up loving to sing, I will be so happy – for you and for me! Singing is such a gift!

At eight months (this week), you are revealing yourself to be such a smart, strong, confident,
independent, brave, curious, determined, funny, engaged, bright, adventurous little person. You amaze and inspire me, and my heart bursts with pride for everything that you are. You fill up my heart every day, my Grace. I can’t wait to see who you become tomorrow!

                                                                                                Love,

                                                                                                Your inspired mom

No comments:

Post a Comment