Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Sermon: Let mutual love continue (August 28, 2016)

Pentecost 15C
August 28, 2016
Hebrews 13:1-8, 15-16
Luke 14:1, 7-14

            Five years ago today, I was ordained into the ministry of Word and Sacrament. It happened in the church I grew up in, where my dad was pastor for nearly 30 years. My mom’s brother Daniel, also a pastor, was there as well – he was the assisting minister for the service – and he wore the red stole that belonged to my Grandpa Dick. The big moment in an ordination service is the laying on of hands, where all the ordained clergy gathered lay hands on this new ordinand while the congregation sings a song summoning the Holy Spirit, and the bishop says a prayer over this new pastor. My dad’s hands were there, and my uncle’s, and just beyond this sphere, my grandpa’s, and my two great-grandpas, also pastors, and my great-grandmother’s, who was a deaconess. A couple weeks ago we
"Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses..."
heard in Hebrews this wonderful verse, “Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us…” It’s one of my favorites, and always makes me think of the cloud of witnesses that laid hands on me on my ordination day.
            Today in Hebrews, we hear another of my favorite verses: “Let mutual love continue.” Especially on this fifth anniversary of my ordination, I have been thinking a lot about what these words mean and look like, both in my life as an ordained person, and in my life as a baptized Christian. I think these four words state the hardest thing about being a Christian. In fact, I think the author of Hebrews is very optimistic to say, “Let mutual love continue” – it implies we already are doing it, and to keep up the good work! Well, I sometimes find loving others to be very easy – and what a joy it is when that happens! – but it is just as often very hard, indeed. Living a life of mutual love is certainly the most challenging aspect of life as a Christian, even as it is also the most rewarding.
What makes it so hard? Well, let’s ask it this way: what is required to “let mutual love continue”? I think a big part of it is one of the major themes in our Gospel reading today, and that is humility. In the Gospel story, Jesus advises not to assume you deserve the highest seat, but rather, sit at the lowest seat and wait to be asked to move up. It’s sort of simplistic advice to our modern ears, and taken literally it isn’t very often applicable to our lives like it would have been to the original audience. But thinking of it more broadly in terms of our relationships with others, especially our Christian, mutually loving relationships with others, it becomes much more poignant and convicting.
Now, it wouldn’t be convicting, if living in Christian community were all rainbows and sunshine all the time. But the thing about living in Christian community is that it is an awful lot like living in a family – and we all know that families, well… don’t always get along. People disagree, or get annoyed with one another, or disappoint each other, or don’t meet each other’s expectations. When that happens, when conflict erupts, fighting often follows, and it is in those moments that Jesus’ advice about humility becomes very difficult to hear. Think, if you are gearing up to fight, whether you fight with actions or with words, what is good strategy? Generally, you want to find yourself in the more powerful position, right? Even animals do this – the hair on their back goes up,
This is how big my Dachshund thinks he is.
or their feathers fluff, or their tails wag high and fast. Just ask my Dachshund: twelve pounds, and he thinks he’s the biggest dog in the neighborhood! We want to look and act bigger and more powerful than we are. We want to do the opposite of Jesus’ suggestion to “take the lowest place,” because that sort of humility is exactly what will cause you to lose the fight! So when faced with a conflict, we will be inclined to: insist our way is right, disregard others’ opinions and perspectives while we puff up and applaud our own, put others down, resist admitting to being wrong, whatever we need to do in order to stay in that higher, more powerful position, and be sure that we win the fight.
Humility won’t help that effort at all. No, humility has no place in winning a fight.
But remember, we are not talking about winning a fight. We are talking about living in community, and letting mutual love continue in that community. With that as our goal, we can’t look for a winner, because if there is a winner there is also a loser, and having winners and losers is not the way to remain in community with one another. That is not the way to let mutual love continue.
This is where humility comes in. What if, instead of trying to get to that highest seat at the banquet, we took Jesus’ advice, and sat in a lower seat? What if we listened to the concerns of the other, to what is true for them, and even “tried on” their ideas before disregarding their perspective? What if instead of looking for points about which to say, “You’re wrong!” we looked for ways to say, “I agree with you on that”? What if we made the effort to consider where our own perspectives might not encompass the whole truth? What if we asked for forgiveness when we realize we were wrong?
Suddenly Jesus’ advice isn’t nearly so simplistic. Suddenly it is very challenging. It is not just swallowing our pride and waiting to be invited up to a higher seat, it is actively working at loving someone, at honoring them and their opinions, at viewing them not as a stranger or outsider or enemy, but as an angel whom God placed in your path to show you something about what it means, what it takes, what it and looks like to live in a mutually loving community. Have you had people in your life fulfill that role? I know I have.
And that brings me to the second thing that is necessary if we want to “let mutual love continue.” GRACE. Certainly, it is grace for ourselves, because putting ourselves in such a humble position is very vulnerable, very dangerous. You could very well be trampled, especially if both parties don’t agree to be similarly humble with each other. And because we are animals, we often resort to those basic animal “fight or flight” instincts, and we don’t behave like we intended, like God would have liked us to behave. We need to acknowledge that reality, and trust that God will forgive us for those times.
We also must have grace for the other, because it is just as hard for them: we are all humans, after all, and we all make mistakes, we all fall short of the glory of God, we all are captive to sin and cannot free ourselves, no matter how hard we try.
But above all, what is required to “let mutual love continue,” is the very grace of God. And this has been, for these past five years of ordained ministry, my most frequent thanksgiving: that in all the ways I fall short of this strange and wondrous calling, all the missteps I take, all the times I didn’t live up to expectations of God, myself, or others – I still walk in the grace of God. Jesus still died for me, for this sinner. Jesus still defeated fear and death for me. Jesus still claimed me in baptism, 33
years ago today. I still come to worship and get to hear someone say, as they hand me that sacred meal, “The body of Christ, given for you.” For me! For you! God’s grace is given for us!
And with this, God’s amazing grace, I believe that we can let mutual love continue. It still won’t be easy, and it still might be messy at times, and it still requires the hard work of humility and vulnerability and loving honesty, with ourselves and with each other. But we can do it, because God’s grace makes it possible. As we continue down this road of ministry, whether it is ordained or lay ministry, that grace of God is all that keeps us afloat. Let us cling to that gift with all that we have and all that we are.

Let us pray… Gracious God, you call us to let mutual love continue, and to be humble in our relationships with others. This is hard work, God! But we give you thanks that you have entrusted this task to us, even as you have given us the grace to work at it. In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment