Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Dear Klaus, thank you

The day I got Klaus

August 1, 2017

Dear Klaus,

I am sitting here next to you, and giving thanks. These past weeks and months, we have watched your age catch up to you, as your health has declined. You have been such a trooper, putting up with a couple babies poking and pulling on you (and in Grace's case, trying to ride you), being patient with how often you get kicked as we run around trying to take care of those two babies, never barking or biting but warming when appropriate, and remaining ever the cuddliest buddy.

But, my dear friend, we have come to the end. We had hoped against hope that you might recover, but it is increasingly clear that you won't. And so today, as I enjoy one last day with my little furry love, I want to remember all the things you have been.

You were my first dog. Sure, my parents had had dogs that I loved and considered my own, but I had
His first birthday (9yrs old!) with me
never had my very own dog. At the time I got you, it didn't make a lot of sense for me to get a dog. I first met you between my first two cancer surgeries. I went out to your house, and amidst a bunch of barking dogs, one little guy came right up and put his wee paws on my shins. "This one?" I asked, and she said yes. I hung out and watched you for a little while - watched you cuddle, and strut, and chew on your own ear (??), and follow a toddler around for dropped food - and got a sense of who you would be. It seemed like fate, and so I went for it. I am so glad I did. It was a rocky start (my oboe case still smells like pee), but you were exactly what I needed when I needed it. Thank you for being my good dog.

You were my nurse. The day your previous owner dropped you off at my apartment (October 31, 2012), I was home recovering from my second surgery. You were understandably a little uncertain of why you were in this new place, but after a short time, you were crawling up on
Comic relief, aka "flying nun"
me and licking my face. We were fast friends. And you quickly became my nurse, cuddling with me and helping me heal from four surgeries. When anxiety was high, you were there to stroke. When tears flowed, you offered hugs and kisses. You wiggled your way into every emotion and brought calm, and sometimes, comic relief. You always knew just what was needed, and gave it. Thank you for taking care of me.

You were our first "child." Michael suddenly lost his dog, Daisy, the day after my third (and first major) surgery. As Michael and I prepared to be married three months after that, he shifted all his dog love to you. You quickly became not mine, but ours. This is documented by probably thousands of pictures, including one of you as a
The Rehbaums!
groomsdog at our wedding, with your yellow bow-tie. (You ate your heart out at that event, patrolling the perimeter to pick up all dropped food, and boy, you felt it that night!) You came with us to pick out a Christmas tree. You were in our church directory photo. You were as much a Rehbaum as anyone else! Klaus Rehbaum the Dachshund, German dog! Thank you for being a part of our family.

You were our daughter's first friend. When Grace came along, our attention necessarily shifted to her and her needs, but you were no less a part of the family. You watched over her, checking in on her, guarding her, sitting with her when she cried. You had a little sibling rivalry, vying as you did for lap space, but overall, she was quite enamored with you (whom she calls "Lau"), and you were quite protective of her, and have been for Isaac, as well. Two mornings ago, as you stood whimpering under the table, Grace looked at me with worried eyes and asked, "Lau okay?" I said no, you weren't,
Grace and Klaus
that you were very sick. She said, "Oh..." and proceeded to try to give you food. That night, even in your disorientation, you stood guard by their door for an hour after we went to sleep. Yesterday, when Grace was trying to move you so she could get her bike through, she accidentally pulled off your collar. She looked at it, and starting reading the tag (interspersing "Lau" with various other babble). Then she held it up for me, pointing to your name tag, and said, "See? Lau!" She loves you, little dog. Thank you for your care of our children, and your friendship.

You were my constant. Since I moved to Rochester, my life has gone through several major changes: new job, two cancers, five surgeries, wedding, new house, two babies. Through all of that, you have been my constant. You have been my steadfast little friend. You have adapted, and cuddled, and made us laugh, and always loved with all that you could. Thank you for grounding me.
Klaus and "IronKlaus"

I couldn't have asked for a better dog - you patient, tolerant, gentle, kind, stubborn, spunky, friendly, loving boy. As Michael said yesterday, if we could be half as good humans as you are a dog, we would be doing all right. Thank you for your cuddles. Thank you for your fish breath-scented kisses. Thank you for all the sermon illustrations. Thank you for loving our babies. Thank you for winning us both over for small dogs. Thank you for showing us what unconditional love and affection looks like. Thank you for being in my life.

Love,

Your forever Mama

3 comments:

  1. So sorry. Losing a beloved pet is so hard. I truly believe dogs love us as God loves us... Unconditionally and always ready to forgive. Peace be with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crying and so sorry. Its a difficult time. What a good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh, now I'm crying.
    Unconditional Love. Mu fave pic is tge video of when y'all brought Grace gome from the hospital. Klaus was performing inspection and foind her acceptable. Haha
    Much love to you and your family while you mourn and celebrate Klaus.

    ReplyDelete