Friday, October 26, 2018

Sermon: What power looks like (Oct 21, 2018)

Pentecost 22B
October 21, 2018
Mark 10:35-45

INTRODUCTION
            For the past few weeks, we have been following Jesus on his journey to Jerusalem – a journey which he knows, and we know, will culminate with suffering and death on the cross. All along this journey, Jesus has been offering some very difficult teachings, to which we have been privy over the past month or so of Sundays. Teachings like, sell everything you own and give it to the poor, and cut off your limbs if they cause you to stumble, and be prepared to leave everything, even your families, and some tough teachings on divorce. Week after week, we’ve been squirming in our seats! Week after week we have been confronted with how difficult it is to be a disciple of Christ!
            This week is no exception. Jesus predicts his suffering and death on the cross for a third time, and then James and John respond by completely missing the point, and asking Jesus if they can sit by his side in his glory. Little do they know what they are asking! And so Jesus will put them in their place, telling them that his glory looks a lot less like the power they crave, and a lot more like serving others.
            Our first two readings will set this up for us, giving us a glimpse of what it means for Jesus to be an obedient servant of God. All of these readings compel us to ask ourselves, as hopeful disciples: what might be required of us to be disciples of Christ? Let’s listen to the Word as we grapple with this question.
[READ]
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.
Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to meet many of you at the meet and greet – thank you for that! If you were there toward the end of the event, you also had a chance to meet my little family: my husband, Michael, my 3-year-old daughter Grace, and my almost 2-year-old son, Isaac. Several people commented, “Wow, that’s a handful!” Yes, it is! When Michael and I had our two kids 15 months apart, I admit I really dreaded getting to the point where we would have a “terrible 2” and a “three-nager” at the same time. These two notoriously difficult ages in one house seemed like a lot! I can honestly say, now that we are almost at that point, I’m actually thoroughly enjoying it, partly because my kids are totally awesome (no bias, of course!). But also because every day my dear toddlers teach me about human nature, and they teach me to be more gracious with that condition we all share.
One lesson they have made sure to teach us is about the very human desire to be in control of the situation. Whether it’s choosing an outfit, or putting our own toothpaste on the toothbrush, or making important life decisions, humans want to have autonomy. We want to have power over our lives. We want to be in control.
            With that in mind, it is no surprise, really, that James and John make this bold request of Jesus: to grant them seats at his right hand and his and left in his glory. I used to read this text and think, “Ah, the audacity! The gall! Who would make such a presumptuous request as to be granted prized seats next to Jesus in his glory?” But then I looked at the broader context. You see, James and John and the others have just heard several teachings in a row about how difficult, even impossible it is to be a disciple of Jesus. I imagine they are feeling a bit insecure by this point – I know I would be! And then for a cherry on top, Jesus has predicted his own suffering and death for the third time. That’s not easy stuff to digest! They might not understand exactly what that means (they don’t have the benefit we have, of knowing the end of the story, plus 2000 years of conversation since then), but by now they must be starting to understand that something big is about to happen, and that it ain’t gonna be pretty. If I were they, I would be feeling… fearful, insecure, uncertain about my choices and about the future, and maybe a bit like I was losing my grip on my life. In short, I might be feeling like I did not have the control and power over my life that I so much appreciate having.
            I still think their request was pretty audacious, and not in a good way. I would never do that, I think. I mean sure I’d be feeling all those things, but I’d deal with it differently. I’m not so hungry for power as all that! And maybe I’m not. But I can see several other ways that I, and perhaps you, try to hold onto power and control in our lives.
A big way we do this that I see often is holding onto grudges. Getting hurt by someone, and not being willing to forgive them. Not even wanting to forgive them, because as long as you hold that over them, you have the upper hand, and the upper hand feels like power. I know I have done this, and I hear this story a lot from others, whether we are willing to admit it or not. Even though we know, intellectually, that holding onto a grudge doesn’t do us a bit of good, not for ourselves nor for the health of our relationships with others, it can still be hard for the heart to let go, because letting go can feel like letting go of having some power in the relationship.
Another example I have seen lately, especially in our divisive cultural climate, is an unwillingness to listen, really listen, to other points of view. We all have dearly held positions on various issues, and to really listen and try to understand another point of view runs the risk of us realizing we might have been wrong about something. And that can feel very scary and vulnerable. And although I think vulnerability can be incredibly powerful, it doesn’t always feel very powerful at first. So we tend to avoid it.
A third example of how we try to seek and hold onto power in our lives is how we handle our money. We work hard, we are good people, we want to provide for our families and enjoy life, we want to put money in retirement and college funds. All very healthy financial practices… that allow us to feel like we have a measure of control over our lives, now and in the future. And having that control and security feels pretty good.
Yeesh… these are all things I do or have done. And even though I don’t know you very well yet, my guess is you’ve had some experience with some of those things, too. Turns out, we are hungry for power, hungry for control, hungry for security! Maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to criticize James’ and John’s behavior – we too go to sometimes great lengths to maintain control and power in our lives, from toddlers and right on up! That’s not an inherently bad thing. It’s just a human thing.
Jesus’ response to James and John’s request is first a bit amusing, and then convicting. At first, it reminds me of when my toddler doesn’t want to wear a jacket on a cold day, so I say, “Sure, that’s fine,” and we walk outside and immediately I hear, “I’m cold.” Natural consequences, kid! Let’s go get that jacket! Jesus, too, says, “You don’t know what you’re asking. You want those things? Fine. You’ll see soon enough what they entail.”
But then, in true Jesus form, he goes on to flip everything they thought they knew right on its head. “You say you want to be in a powerful position,” he says. “What you’re envisioning as power is how the Gentiles see power – and we see how well that’s working out for them! Those who you see as ‘great’ are tyrants! They’re trampling the poor and weak! That’s not what we’re trying to do here. In my kingdom, this is not how it works. In my kingdom, those who are great are the ones who serve. Those who are last are first. Those who you’d think would be first, are really last.” Hmm… suddenly having control over my life and being in a powerful position isn’t sounding quite so appealing as it did a moment ago!
On the other hand… Jesus doesn’t say power is bad. He’s not telling us to be doormats, or not to contribute to society, or not to strive for great things. He just says that power looks different from what the world would have us believe.
The world would have us believe that power and glory is being in a higher position than others, having higher status and more prestige… but Jesus’ power and glory is in being low, in humility, in service, in self-giving.
The world would have us believe that power and glory are in wealth and riches… but Jesus’ power is in generosity, in ridding ourselves of the shackles of wealth that promise us what we desire but do not deliver. Jesus’ power is in resisting the temptation to put our trust in money, rather than in Christ.
The world would have us believe that power and glory are in being right, in having the upper hand, in having a bulletproof argument… but Jesus’ power and glory are in compassion for the other, listening to those on the margins of society, and sincerely trying to understand another’s pain. Jesus’ power is in seeking and offering forgiveness.
Jesus’ power and glory aren’t flashy and impressive in the way the world tells us they should be. The world says we emanate our own light, our own power. But followers of Christ know that this is not the case. Our work is not in shining our own light and bringing our own power into the world, but rather, in bringing Christ’s light and power into the world, into the places most in need of that power, that joy, that abundance, that life.
In last week’s Gospel reading, Jesus told his disciples, “For mortals, this is impossible, but not for God. For God, all things are possible.” And oh man, there is grace in that! Because this is hard. This is a difficult teaching. Sometimes I feel like I’m really getting it, really in a groove, but in just a second things can change and I fall once again into the trap of seeking what the world tells me is power and glory. It is impossible for us. But it is not impossible for Jesus, who, right after this exchange, enters Jerusalem to jubilant shouts of “Hosanna!” only to be crucified days later. He shows us the cost of discipleship. He shows us how difficult these teachings can be to live out.
But then, he also shows us what new life looks like. He shows us that these deaths and failures we experience don’t get the final word: with Jesus, life always wins. Life always follows death. He shows us that where we fall short, he doesn’t. Where we struggle, he leads the way. Where we might fall into doubt or despair, he gives us hope. “For the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as ransom for many.”
For many. For you. And for me. For all of us who suffer from the pitfalls of the human condition. For all of us who are lured by the flashy promises of the world. For all of us who dearly want to find abundant life, but sometimes look in the wrong places. He came to serve us, and to win us back from all that would try to keep us from that abundant life. He came, and loved, and served, and died, and rose again, for us.
Let us pray… Servant God, when we are lured by the false promises of the world, bring us back into your fold. Set our gaze upon those in need, so that we would work for the power and glory that comes from faithfully serving one another. In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

1 comment: