Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Making Space for Joy: My Lenten Exercise

 "What needs to pass away in order for you to feel truly joyful?"

The Joy of Life by Francois Girard

This was the question that guided my Ash Wednesday sermon, to start off my congregation's Lenten theme, "A Seed of Joy." Since I first saw the question in the preaching notes for Ash Wednesday I have been mulling it over for myself. Joy is something for which I am always searching, and I'm always trying to discern what might be getting in the way of it. 

One thing I've realize consistently gets in the way of joy for me is simply feeling cluttered. The physical clutter certainly wears on me (two kids + ADHD husband = near constant mess), but there is also a lot of mental clutter, and all of this crowds out the possibility of spiritual depth outside of what is required for my job. 

So for Lent this year, I am focusing on creating space. Here is how I plan to do it:

Mental Space: I have enjoyed the past couple of years doing wardrobe challenges. Back in 2022, I did a 100 Day Challenge, wearing the same dress for 100 days straight (yes, I washed it, but the merino wool didn't need as frequent washing - only every 10-14 days or so). I realized early on how much mental energy this challenge freed up, and have enjoyed some other, shorter challenges since then. I didn't realize how much energy I was using right at the beginning of the day, just to decide what to wear!

So during Lent, I'm doing two back-to-back challenges. First, a 10x10 capsule challenge. I have chosen 10 items, which I will wear in different combinations for 10 days. Then I will continue with a 30-day dress challenge, in a comfy, classy purple dress (Lent colored!). Despite these being called "challenges," I actually find it easier to live this way. I'm looking forward to this exercise in simplicity! (And I do get a gift card from the company for completing the challenges, which I'll use to replace a worn item.)

Physical Space: Like many houses, ours has, over the years, collected things in the various nooks and crannies. I'm committing to declutter one small area each week. This weekend it will be our snack cupboard. Next week, maybe under the bathroom sink. Maybe with my family's help, we can address some larger areas, too (hello, attic!), but I'm being reasonable; it's Lent, after all.

(Related to this, we are doing a Lenten spending freeze - so very little new stuff will be coming into the house, which will also help!)

Spiritual Space: The good thing about being a pastor is that I am forced to engage with scripture and prayer on a regular basis. The bad thing is that because I do this all week for other people, it leaves little energy for me to do it for myself, to address my personal spiritual life. So this Lent, I am making the space. In my various attempts at a meaningful personal prayer life, I find most success when I journal. Something about writing, especially by hand, opens my mind to be receptive to God speaking to me. But journaling became harder when kids came along. So, I'm going to do it when I'm not at home: after I eat lunch, at work. Journaling will be in the form of letters to God, using our Lenten devotional which often includes questions for reflection. I'll discuss these questions with God. 


I read recently in a book how God sometimes works through subtraction, not addition. I'm hopeful that the above equation will end up balanced: subtract mental energy of dressing, subtract some physical clutter, and leave space to add more intentional spiritual reflection for my own well-being. And altogether, with less stuff all around and within me, there might be more space for joy to come and stay around.

No comments:

Post a Comment