Thursday, August 30, 2012

Sobering

I learned this morning, mere minutes after posting my last post, that my cousin Nathan passed away quietly early this morning. He was diagnosed with liver cancer only a couple months ago. He fought as hard as he could, but the cancer was too aggressive. He died shortly after going on hospice. He was 33.

If that isn't sobering, I don't know what is. How easy it is for me to say, "God loves me! God is with me!" with my positive prognosis and oh, woe is me, the fear of upcoming treatments. And then I get this disheartening news. He was engaged. He was just about begin a promising teaching career. How can this make any sense at all?

And yet, we proceed in faith, clinging to that mystery that is God's love for us. Sometimes it is more mysterious than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment