Friday, April 19, 2013

Music heals.

I had this idea to create a playlist of songs that would help me get through the various aspects of having mastectomy - body image, general health, inspiration, empowerment, compassion, still feeling like a woman, strength... you get the idea. I know a pretty good amount of music, but I thought if I put the question out to Facebook, I might get some songs I didn't know before, in genres with which I'm not as familiar. I also put the question out to an online community of young women with breast cancer that I've connected with. I got lots of input, and came up with a two-hour playlist of 39 songs, pretty much not cutting anything people offered (unless I couldn't find it on Spotify) because even if I didn't like it, if it had been helpful to someone else, maybe it would helpful to me, too. I'm now listening through it for the first time, and so far so good! I have included it below for your own enjoyment, if you so choose.

Farewell to Boobs Playlist
(For some reason, 8 random songs are not included in this link. Why? This is my first Spotify playlist, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know. They do appear on the Spotify list, just not the link.)

1. I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor)
2. Man! I Feel Like a Woman (Shania Twain)
3. The Hardest Part (Coldplay)
4. Everybody Hurts (R.E.M.)
5. Blackbird (Sarah McLachlan)
6. Extraordinary Machine (Fiona Apple)
7. Bad Romance (Lady Gaga)
8. It's Too Late (Carole King) --> aka "It's Too Late, Boobie!"
9. New Shoes (Paolo Nutini)
10. I'm Gone, I'm Going (Lesley Roy)
11. Baby Got Back (In the Style of Sir Mix-a-lot) (Done Again)
12. Short Skirt/Long Jacket (Cake)
13. Leave the Pieces (The Wreckers)
14. Beautiful (Carole King)
15. Do You Realize?? (The Flaming Lips)
16. Beautiful Dawn (Wailin' Jennys)
17. As Cool as I Am (Dar Williams)
18. Grey Street (Dave Matthews Band)
19. Brick House (Commondores)
20. Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
21. All That You Have Is Your Soul (Tracy Chapman)
22. Moving (John Fullbright)
23. Don't Stop (Fleetwood Mac)
24. If I Can Dream (Elvis Presley)
25. One Day You Will (Lady Antebellum)
26. Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) (Kelly Clarkson)
27. How Could Anyone (Shaina Noll)
28. Touch of Grey (Grateful Dead)
29. World Without Tears (Lucinda Williams)
30. Keep Breathing (Ingrid Michaelson)
31. Titanium -feat. Sia (David Guetta)
32. Lose Yourself (Eminem)
33. The Guy that Says Goodbye to You is Out of His Mind (Griffin House)
34. No One (Alicia Keys)
35. Just the Way You Are (Bruno Mars)
36. Sex and Reruns (Matt Duke)
37. Don't Stop My Now (Queen)
38. I Run for Life (Melissa Etheridge)
39. I'm Every Woman (Whitney Houston)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment