Friday, December 20, 2013

The definition of insanity

Overall, Klaus hates it when I do chores on my day off. He spends the day looking at me like, "If you're home, then why are we not cuddling right now?" He has this bizarre little habit of chewing on his ear when he's upset or excited, and today he has been gnawing away on and off all day long as I buzz around getting things done.

The one chore he loves, however, is laundry. As I start to gather it, his quiet, observant excitement is almost palpable. If he times it right, you see, then when I put down the basket full of warm, soft clothes or linens, he can crawl into them and snuggle up before I notice.

So imagine his delight when I brought up sheets and towels, fresh out of the dryer, practically still hot to the touch! It took no time at all before he was in a tight ball in the middle of it. I smiled at this adorable little being, then lifted him carefully out, put him beside the basket, and pulled out a towel. In the time it took me to fold it, he had crawled in again. "Oh Klaus," I said, and again carefully lifted him out. Folded another towel, and the same thing. "Honestly," I thought, "Did I expect a different outcome?" Something about the definition of insanity came to mind. *

But Klaus soon enough made me feel better about it, or at least in good company. Now that the heavy towels were out, the basket easily tipped over under his 12 pound self. This happened once, startling him away from the basket. I giggled and put it back up the right way. Again, he tried to crawl in, only to have to basket fall on top of him. One more time - three times total. Yep, insanity is right.

But he would not be deterred. And here is how we ended up:



Gotta do what ya gotta do.


* Definition: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

2 comments:

  1. Myth alert: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/20/insanity-definition_n_1159927.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear brother, I thank you for pointing this out. I never, however, actually thought that this was the definition of insanity. I always took it to be tongue-in-cheek. You hear this "definition," and you think, "Gosh that's true. I am being crazy to think this might change this time." So there.

      Delete