Thursday, June 5, 2014

Vocation in a deli

This past Sunday I gathered with members from 175 Lutheran congregation in Upstate NY, for our annual Synod Assembly. (More on that in a later post!) This event has been held in downtown Rochester the last few years, so it has been fun to be a sort of host for the event, one of the ones who knows the city.

It didn't take long before I realized I didn't really know the city. Just before the assembly officially started, I ventured out with a fellow pastor (also not from around here) to find some dinner. The Convention Center is right in the heart of downtown, on several bus routes, so the sidewalks were active. As we walked down the street, I realized how seldom I have walked the streets of Rochester City. I have driven them many times, and I have walked short distances, like from the parking garage to my destination, and I have walked them when they are closed off for street festivals, but I tend to avoid simply walking around outside because, well, Rochester is not known for its safety. Furthermore, being a car owner, I have never found need to use the bus system (though I have thought many times that if I really want to know my city, I ought to just make it my activity for a day to figure out how to use it, thereby also getting to know the people who ride the bus).

My ignorance about Rochester became very clear as my friend Greg and I went in search of a deli for dinner. Here was a whole segment of Rochester personnel that I rarely or never see. Here was a part of the everyday life of Rochester I have never experienced. I suddenly felt like a stranger in a place that has come to feel like home.

We arrived at a deli/market, and made our way to the sandwiches. There was an energetic young man working there. He told us about what he had to offer, and I will tell you, I have never heard someone make cheese sound so exciting. What joy he shared! He told us with enthusiasm how he makes all the food, what a nice, quite sitting area they have, and how when no one else is around, he turns on the music and dances in the kitchen... and sometimes he even does it when other people are around. He introduced us to something called "boss sauce" - when we asked what it is, he said, "You're not from around here, are you?" I suppose not! He eagerly gave us samples, waiting to see our reactions. (It was good! Would be good for dipping chicken fingers in.) When he told him at the end that we didn't need bags, he looked crestfallen and showed us the nice bags he had, which say, "Delicious!" on the side. "But don't you want my nice bag?" he said? We agreed to take the bag.

As we walked out, Greg said, "Talk about someone who does a pretty undesirable job, but does it with joy!" He was the living example of vocation, of seeing whatever you do as your unique calling, your way to glorify God. To bring joy to yourself and others, even in the most mundane of tasks - that is vocation!

I'm glad we ended up in that kinda sketchy deli. Best 10 minutes and $4 I spent all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment