Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sermon: The discipleship of saying "no" (Aug. 31, 2014)

Pentecost 12A/Lectionary 22
August 31, 2014 
Matthew 16:21-28

            Traditionally, we consider Labor Day weekend the end of summer. Even if the weather remains warm a bit longer (please, please remain warm a bit longer!), the summer is over because the kids are back at school, programs start up again, vacation slows to a crawl, and everyone snaps out of the laziness (or at least the different sort of busy-ness) of summer and back into their regularly scheduled lives.
            So as we have made our way toward Labor Day weekend, I have found myself reflecting on
My porch, where many hours were spent this summer.
how I spent my summer. Compared to last summer – which started with major surgery and proceeded with getting married and buying a house – this summer was rather mundane, and in the best possible way. While there were a couple very busy weeks in there, mostly it was relaxing, with many mornings and evenings on our porch, a couple of low-key vacations, going walking and running, some gardening, reading, exploring my new neighborhood, doing morning prayer outside amidst the sounds of nature and neighbors… It was a good summer.
            So why, with all of these wonderful things to be grateful for, do I still find myself thinking, “Ack! There’s so much I didn’t get done this summer! Where did the time go?!” Of course, if I had done all of those things I had in mind, it wouldn’t have been the relaxing, laid-back summer I have enjoyed so much. But isn’t this indicative of the culture in which we live: if we haven’t done something, and have something to show for it, then it isn’t successful.
            The truth of the matter is that in order to say “yes” to some life-giving things, you have to say “no” to others. This has been the lesson I have been trying to learn this summer, and it is one of the
lessons we hear in Jesus’ words to his disciples today in Matthew. Jesus’ words here are some of his hardest to hear – about taking up your cross and denying yourself. He says, “For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.” I have always read these words as a call to action: “Do more for Christ! Be a more sacrificial disciple! Give more even when it’s hard!” I have always associated these words with sacrificial work, and lots of it.
But as the slowness of summer comes to an end, I have been thinking about another part of discipleship, another important way that we are called to “lose our life” for Christ’s sake so we will find it… and that is Sabbath. Resting in a way that is rejuvenating. Read this way, the discipleship Jesus suggests is not, “Do more for Christ,” but rather, “Do less, but do it with Christ.”
            What does that look like, to do less, but do it with Christ? I don’t think it looks much like the distracted, multi-tasking lives to which we have become accustomed. Even as I wrote this sermon on Sabbath this week, I tried to do it in a restful place – out of the office, out in nature – and yet I made the mistake of still having a wireless signal, so I kept stopping to read an email, set up a meeting, make some edits, read an article, get sucked into Facebook. You can’t believe how much I got done while I was writing this sermon! But that is how our lives look, isn’t it? Busy, busy, busy, with hardly a moment to stop and take a deep breath, let alone sit and do nothing at all. When was the last time you did nothing at all for any significant amount of time? I don’t mean read a book or watch TV – I mean, just sit there and listen to the wind, or marvel at the sky, or quietly remember things from your childhood, or offer thanks and praise to God?
            If you’re like me, you don’t have time for things like that, because you have said yes to too many other things! We are so good at saying yes to things, right? It becomes a point of pride to see just how many things we can do, and pull it off. The community looks up to us with admiration, we can feel good about ourselves and our contributions to society, and things that need doing get done. But I wonder if when Jesus urges us to “lose our lives,” if that might mean learning to say no to some of those things that bring us such pride, so that we won’t be so distracted that we can’t say YES to the life of praise and thanks that is God’s Life?
            Courtney Martin tells a story about learning the importance of saying no as she learns to prune apple trees. She writes: “It was a sunny Saturday and Louise — well into her 70s, willowy, and often wearing a t-shirt with some slogan of peace — showed me how each branch of the tree can only
reasonably support two apples. You have to go, branch by branch, and pluck off little baby apples until every branch has only as much as it can support.
“It felt sad to me at first, twisting off these hopeful little apples and dropping them into a bucket. They amassed quickly, collectively robbed of possibility. …. But then I looked over and watched as Louise pruned without fanfare, gentle and direct. She had lived long enough to know that in order for some things to thrive, some things must die.
“You say no so you can say yes. It’s sad in the way that all limitations are, but also liberating. You are human and finite and precious and fumbling. This is your one chance to spend your gifts, your attention, most importantly your love, on the things that matter most. Don’t screw it up by being sentimental about what could have been or delusional about your own capacity. Have the grace to acknowledge your own priorities. Prune and survive.”[1]
            I love that she acknowledges how sad saying no can be – limitations are sad because they reveal to us our humanity. Indeed saying no can feel like an even heavier cross to bear than finding time to help more! But she also emphasizes the importance of saying no for the possibility of saying yes to something greater – or in Jesus’ words, the importance of losing our lives, so that we can find our lives in Christ.
            I read a very short book this summer by preacher Barbara Brown Taylor, called, “The Practice of Saying No.” It was a lovely, life-giving reflection about Sabbath, but I found that even as I loved what she had to say about this sort of do-nothing rest – the sort where you really do nothing except listen and be, the sort that that allows you to remember things, and grapple with things, and relish in things… as divine as this sounds, I felt myself getting anxious. “I don’t have time for that!” I thought. “When I have down-time, I want to get out and finally do some weeding, or read that book that’s been calling to me from my nightstand, or catch up on some emails.”  
Ah, but there is the problem. That is not giving up my life for Christ’s sake so that I might find it. That is proceeding in my same old life – even though they are parts of life I may enjoy – as if I know what is best for me, rather than remembering that God rested on the 7th day, and gave us that same command for rest, not to burden us further, but so that we would have a chance to refresh and remember and be thankful for the one True Life that comes from God.
Taylor finishes her reflection on Sabbath by saying, “When you live in God, your day begins when you lose yourself long enough for God to find you, and when God finds you, you lose yourself
"Sweet praise" by Karla Dornacher
again in praise.” And that’s really it, isn’t it? We may resist Sabbath because we have too much to do, or because we like feeling important, but there is also a bit of fear – fear that if we rest, we might just lose ourselves, or what we think “ourselves” should be, or what we fancy ourselves to be. But Jesus’ own life, death and resurrection show us that sometimes life has to be lost in order to gain true life. Even as we can trust in that eternal promise, Jesus also calls us to live it each and every day, by saying no to the things that so quickly become stumbling blocks in our lives with Christ and our relationship with God – and saying yes to quiet, dedicated time being in God’s presence. We don’t stay lost there for long – soon enough we are found again by God, and then we are free to “lose [ourselves] again in praise.”
Let us pray… Gracious God of rest and life: we keep ourselves so busy doing such important work that it is often hard to remember your commandment to make time to rest and simply be in your presence. Grant us the courage to find that time, especially as the school year starts this week, trusting that when we lose ourselves, we will always be found by you. In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.




[1] Courtney E. Martin, “The Spiritual Practice of Saying No,” http://www.onbeing.org/blog/the-spiritual-art-of-saying-no/6718?page=1#comment-1573643.

No comments:

Post a Comment