Thursday, December 1, 2016

Preparing for "Twos"

Dear "Twos,"

Very soon now you will make your appearance into this world! At this point, we don't know if you are a boy or a girl, or what your name will be (we have affectionately called you "Twos" for the duration of this pregnancy). All we know about you is that you are a healthy, growing baby, measuring in the 50th percentile, and not causing your pregnant Mama too much trouble... at least so far!

Actually, I wonder if I might know a little more about you than that. I remember when I was pregnant with your sister Grace, I had developed a whole personality for her based only on how she lived and moved in my belly. Turned out, when she came out, she was a lot of the things I had suspected. So, I'm going to give this a whirl with you, too.

36 weeks
First of all, in my mind, you are a boy. When I first saw the positive pregnancy test, after the initial shock wore off (you came a LOT sooner than we were planning!), I thought, "BOY." I'm not sure where that came from, and over the course of the pregnancy, that feeling has been less at times and
more at others, but overall I have in mind that you are a boy. (If you come out a girl, we will be surprised, but not disappointed!)

Like your sister, you have been a very agreeable pregnancy, not causing too much trouble, not causing unhealthy cravings, or indigestion, or any of the yucky pregnancy side effects. I am tired, more tired than with Grace, but I think that has less to do with you, and more to do with the fact that I'm running after your sister and trying to manage a lot of things at work. You, my dear, have hardly imposed yourself at all; you just keep to your allotted space, occasionally tickling my sternum with your toes, or stretching out into my rib cage. You move a lot, but it is always very gentle and sweet, not nearly as dramatic as your sister.

I imagine you as a quiet kid, introspective and thoughtful. I think you will be more outwardly loving than your sister (who is NOT a cuddler), but still independent and interested in trying things out on your own. Despite your quiet thoughtfulness, I also imagine you to have a bit of a mischievous streak. I think you are a joker! I imagine you with a huge smile that makes an appearance when one of your clever jokes has become apparent.

39 weeks
Perhaps you and Grace will be in cahoots. I could see that - using your respective skills to pull off hilarious pranks on your poor mom and dad. I could also see you carefully observing her, and finding ways to work either with or against her for the ultimate achievement. I think you and Grace will mostly get along, but your different styles of being in this world will likely rub against each other in frustrating ways, and you will have to learn how to live together. Grace has such a strong personality, I think you will (by necessity) learn to find your own way in the world, quietly letting your unique gifts shine, and not being as dependent as she is on making an obvious impression.

I think you will teach us to notice things. I think you will move more slowly, and help us to see things we would otherwise have missed. I think you will take delight in simpler, less obvious things. My goodness, my child, I am already learning from you!

I also imagine you are strong, and resilient. I'll confess to you, this has not been an easy pregnancy for me, emotionally speaking. I have been working through some tough things, and I have worried about you, even apologized to you for whatever strain that may have caused on you and your development. But from you, I have only felt care and strength and steadfastness. Honestly, my sweetheart, this has brought me much comfort these 9 months, and I thank you.

One of the names we are considering for you if you are a boy is Isaac, which means laughter. Another is Jonah, which means dove (the bringer of peace). A third is John, which means God's gracious gift. All of these things I have already discerned in your personality, and any of them would fit. We are waiting to make our final decision until we see your sweet face, to see who you are. Whoever and whatever you are, my child, we love you!

Love,
Your mama

No comments:

Post a Comment