Thursday, December 15, 2016

Story of a life and a name

December 15, 2016

Dear Isaac Karl Rehbaum,

You’re here! Born Dec. 7 (Pearl Harbor Day), 6:37am, 7lb 10oz, 20in. And just as your conception was a surprise to us, your birth story was also full of surprises. I wanted to tell you about three things about that special day: the story of your birth, the story of your name, and our very first impressions of you, our beautiful son.

Unlike your sister, you started your way into this world on the eve of your due date, like a reasonable baby! (Grace was 13 days overdue!) It was actually right after my Concentus concert, which I was really hoping I would be able to sing in – so thanks for waiting until after! After getting yourself queued up on Sunday night, you waited a couple days, then continued your journey beginning the night after your due date. Usually contractions (the muscle movement that pushes baby out) start off shorter with more time in between, and as it gets closer to the time for baby to make his grand entrance, they are closer together (2-5 min) and a little longer (2 min). You split the difference: contractions were longer from the beginning, but spread out, which allowed me to sleep between them (thanks!). The entire time, all night long, I had stuck in my head one line from one of the pieces we had sung in my concert. It became the rhythm that carried me through the labor pains. It was in Latin, though, so I looked up the meaning after and it is from Psalm 99:3 in the Latin Vulgate (Bible translation): “Know ye that the Lord is God: he made us, and not we ourselves.” I can’t think of a better labor refrain!
Brand new!

Then came the surprising part. Contractions continued to be pretty far apart, but were getting more painful, such that your dad insisted we go to the hospital. Now, I am a rule-follower, and the doctor had said to wait until they were 5 min apart, so I said, “No, not yet.” But he insisted! And good thing he did, because by the time we got to the hospital, I was so close to giving birth to you we thought it might happen in the car! They rushed me off to a room. From the time we arrived to the minute you were born was only 37 minutes!

When you came out, we were amazed how much dark hair you had. Grace had very little hair, and it  
was red. Yours is dark with blond highlights. Your dad wept beside me, saying, “A boy! I have a son!” When they put you on my chest, I smiled and said, “Hi baby!” You didn’t have a name yet, but I felt like I already knew you. Both your dad and I were enamored with you from the beginning. Even your big sister Grace, only 15 months old, came to visit a few hours later, and she was very curious and interested. One of our most cherished memories was that she came over and patted you, and kissed you on the cheek. Love at first sight!

A kiss from sister
We spent your first hours just admiring you. To me, you looked very wise, like the type who was just taking in information to use later, and who has a much deeper grasp on the world and how it works than most people. We have been talking about what we would name you for months and months and
had not come to a consensus, so we kept trying out names on you and seeing how you reacted – sometimes with a grimace, sometimes with eyebrows raised or furrowed, sometimes with blinking. We couldn’t decide – but one thing we could not get over was how very handsome you are!

First family of four picture!
As we considered your name, we were considering several factors: 1) We both wanted to use family names. In particular your dad wanted to use his father’s name, Karl, because your Grampy Karl died last year and never got to know he had a grandson. 2) You were born on Pearl Harbor Day, Dec. 7. This is a major day in American history, and especially in naval history (your Grampy was a Navy man), and your dad, who is both a history buff and a particular lover of military history, was quite taken with this fact. 3) I wanted your name to mean something important, not just to be a name we like, but one that tells a story. With that in mind, we had several names, and were trying to figure out which to use and what order: Karl, Richard (my dad and maternal grandpa), Luke (my brother, as well as my favorite Gospel, which includes the story of Advent and Christmas, the season you were born, and it also means “light”), and finally Isaac, which is not a family name for either of us but has been on my list of “names I want to name my children” for a long time. It’s a strong name we both liked the sound of. I love the meaning and biblical connection: Isaac is the name of the long awaited son of Abraham and Sarah, and when they found out they would have a son in their old age, Sarah laughed because it was so unbelievable! So Isaac means “laughter.” As we looked into it, your dad discovered that at Pearl

5 days old
Harbor, there was a Rear Admiral named Isaac Kid who died and received the Medal of Honor, the highest award given to military or civilian in this country. He was so moved by this connection, he started crying all over again!

And so, several hours after your birth (but within 24 hours!), we had your name: Isaac Karl Rehbaum. Isaac to recall those who have waited and longed for and finally received God’s promises, and been so delighted by it that they laughed aloud, and for those who have bravely given of themselves for the sake of others, and for the laughter we hope will surround you all your days; and Karl for the grandfather who never knew you, but who also would have laughed with delight to know you existed. He would have been so proud of you, my son!

We love you, so much, Isaac Karl, and are enchanted and delighted by you in our lives.

                                                                   Much love,
                                                                                Your mom

No comments:

Post a Comment