Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sermon: God Made Visible (in Webster!) (Epiphany, 2013)


There's a point in this sermon where I asked people to tell me stories... and they actually did! And then I said, "If you didn't get to share yours, I hope you'll find someone to share it with at coffee hour. And please tell me, too! I want to hear your stories!" And several people did! I was thrilled.

Epiphany
Jan. 6, 2013
Matthew 2:1-12

          Those of you were here on Christmas Eve, or who read the sermon online afterward, know that on that night, we talked about a light shining in the darkness. This particular Christmas Eve, remembering that light shines in the darkness was especially important, and so we celebrated together that light emanating from the babe in the manger.
Today is Epiphany, and today we experience the light of Christ in a new way. I think Epiphany might be misunderstood – if not by regular church-goers, at least by the culture at large. We do use that word, “epiphany,” sometimes. When I say, “I’ve just had an epiphany!” what does that mean? It means I’ve had a revelation of some sort. I have realized something that will make some important difference in my life. Well, Epiphany on the church calendar isn’t so different. The word means “revelation” or “manifestation,” because it celebrates the moment that God became manifest to the Gentiles.
That’s a lot of churchy vocabulary, so let’s simplify it is bit. Until now, see, Jesus was a savior for the Jews. The magi from the East were not Jews – they were Zoroastrian astrologers from Persia. They weren’t heathens; they just weren’t Jews – just like you and I aren’t Jews! And tradition says that these magi studied stars, so it is only appropriate that the light shining in the darkness should first appear to them by means of a star, a star that would guide them on their long journey. Just like we followed a star on our journey into worship this morning, to the place where we encounter God in Word and Sacrament, that star led them to the place where God would be made visible to them in the form of small child in Bethlehem. And so it was that God was revealed to people beyond the Jews – indeed to the whole world. It was an epiphany for the whole of humanity, Jews and non-Jews alike – a realization of something that would make an important difference in people’s lives.
The magi, often called the wise men or the three kings, are maybe one of the most loved parts of the Christmas story. They add this wonderful mystical element to the story. Who are they? How did they hear about this thing happening so far away? How glamorous and exotic must their robes, camels, and expensive gifts have looked against the backdrop of a stable! And it is from their appearance at Christ’s birth, of course, that we get the tradition of gift-giving on Christmas (although video game systems, iPads, books, and socks are a far cry from gold, frankincense, and myrrh!).
The evolution of the gift-giving tradition aside, I love that, in the moment God was revealed to the Gentiles, to these magi, their response is to give. It seems a little strange, actually. On the one hand, what is a baby going to do with incense typically used in worship? Or an ointment typically used in the burial of the dead? The gold I can see, because Mary and Joseph presumably used its worth to flee to Egypt and then get home. But for a baby? But on the other hand, how beautiful to give so extravagantly in response to the savior of the world.
Some well-loved Christmas carols have come from this tradition of giving something to Christ. One of my favorites is In the Bleak Midwinter, especially the last verse: “What can I give him, poor as I am? If I were a shepherd, I would give a lamb. If I were a wise man, I would do my part. But what can I give him? Give my heart.” What a lovely message! “I don’t have much, hardly anything, really. But I want to acknowledge this child. I really want to give. As this child has been revealed as God to me and to all, shone as a light in the darkness, I, too, want to give. And so I will give what I have: my heart.”
This story of the magi, strangers coming from far away, following the light of a star, and giving gifts as God is made manifest before their eyes – it is a story for all generations. It is a story for us. We too look up for guidance, trying to follow the light. We too long to see God manifest. And we too express the gratitude of having seen God by giving back. I know this, because I have experienced it myself, and I also know this because I have seen the Webster community do this in the past week. In the darkest moment this community has perhaps ever seen, visions of light have appear. Hotel rooms and meals donated to firemen who came from around the country for the funerals. People bringing hot drinks for the thousands of folks waiting outside in the cold to pay their respects. Thousands of dollars in donations. Truly God’s light has been revealed in Webster this week, and we have seen it in the many gifts, big and small, that people have offered.
My guess is that you have seen much more than I have. What ways have you seen God’s light revealed in the past week – not only in relation to this tragedy, but anywhere in your lives? Please, tell me some stories of light.
[If you’re reading this online, take this time to think of a time you saw a bit of God’s light shining. Email it to me or leave it in a comment below.]
         Truly a light has shone in the darkness. Truly God has not let the darkness remain, but has become all that much brighter because of it. Truly God is manifest all around us, using all kinds of vehicles to show that – even sometimes you and me. If you didn’t get a chance to share your story, I hope you will today after coffee hour. I would love it if you told me about it, whether in person, or by email or phone. It is so important, especially now, for us to share these stories, to testify to the light, even to let that light be revealed in our own words and actions. These stories may not make the pain go away, but they give us hope and something to cling to as we work through it.
Let us pray. Lord, when the magi looked up and saw a light, they believed. They followed. And when they saw you, the God made visible, before them, shining light into the darkness, they gave gifts. At the joy of Christ, may we also be ready to give – give our stories, give our time, give our hearts. In the name of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment