Friday, July 5, 2013

Life meets more life

I'll tell ya what, I have lived a whole lotta life this past week!

I'm feeling better today than I did earlier this week. I just had some wonderful people from my church offer to come help me pack, and in a couple hours they had packed almost all of my dishes, serving things, candlesticks, stuff like that. All the pretty, fragile stuff that I'm afraid to pack. I am relieved about that. Major progress. I spent some of today working on making sure I have homeowner's insurance and all my funds in the right places so I will be prepared to make a down-payment on our house - next week!! As far as we know, closing is still set for July 12th, my 30th birthday. Heck of a great gift, right?? I sort of see 30 as a real entry into adulthood, or maybe from young adult to full-fledged adult, and so acquiring a house on this day seems just right. Also today, Michael and I finally went to the jeweler and tried on the wedding bands we ordered a few months ago (first time we have both been free during business hours). They fit! So we bought them - this is for realsies! With several big things checked off my Big Scary List, the tightness in my chest is feeling a whole lot better.

(Klaus has been pretty anxious about the packing - last time his family packed, they moved and left him with.. well, me. So we have been assuring him he is coming with us. Today, I proved it to him...)



In other news, I went to my first Dave Matthews Band concert this week and it was AWESOME. I have loved Dave since middle school. (I remember sitting on my bed, listening to my cassette tape of Crash, and following along with the lyrics in the cassette jacket in hopes of learning them all.) We went with a couple friends of ours and one of said friends' 16-year-old daughter, and had a ton of fun. Went early, tailgated, brought our guitars and sat in the parking lot eating unhealthy food and jamming. It poured rain all the way there, but cleared up just in time to tailgate. We walked across the large parking lot to the concert and as we got there it poured again, during the opening band, and then cleared up in time for us to get out of the aisle (huddled under the tent!) and to our seats to enjoy the concert. It was so great. He played a bunch of old songs, those same songs I spent so many hours as a teenager trying to memorize all the lyrics, so of course I could sing along with almost the whole thing. Then it poured rain again during the encore, but cleared up in time for us to walk to our car. There were even fireworks at the end! It was pure happiness and carefree fun. I needed that so much.

Here's us jamming on our own cover of Cake's cover (another favorite band!) of I Will Survive. I get a little lost at the beginning (distracted, I guess!), but then I found my place. :)

But wait, there's more! My friend Victoria was here for almost a week. She can't make either of our weddings, but had some free time last week, so she came up to hang out with us. I found some wedding-y things for her to do with me, like going to a Mary Kay consultation. But the big one was that I tried on my dress while she was here. Not my dress, per se, but the exact dress that has already been purchased and is waiting for me in California. I told my sob story to the lady at David's Bridal, about how I had to try on the dress to be sure my boob is still the right size. They didn't have that dress at the Rochester store - closest was in Buffalo. She said normally they don't ship between stores, but she would see what she could do. They got it! So on Tuesday, Victoria helped me get in the dress, and guess what? It looks great! There is enough structure in the corset and the dress that you can't tell I don't quite fill it out on one side. I brought both pairs of shoes I've purchased, and tried them both, and everyone in the store agreed on the one pair over the other. Everyone also loved the dress! They were oooing and awwwing all over the place, perfect strangers! Victoria and I had fun trying different hair things (I'm not wearing a veil, but some sort of headpiece) to get inspiration for making one. We had a ball, and it didn't hurt that everyone told me how gorgeous I looked in my dress. That never hurts a girl's self esteem, right when she needs a little! I took many pictures, but can't post any because Michael can't see. Sorry! :)

So I am feeling a little more like I have my life under control. We might pull this off yet! Woo-hoo! And tomorrow I am officiating at a friend's wedding (at a local lighthouse - how fun is that?) and Sunday I'm baptizing a beautiful little girl, and my best friend is due any day now with her first child, and my birthday is next week. This July is shaping up to be so much better than last July, when I started this whole cancer mess (first biopsy was on my birthday). Here's to July, 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment