Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sermon: Lord, Teach us to Pray (July 28, 2013)


Pentecost 10C
July 28, 2013
Genesis 18:20-32
Luke 11:1-13

            Grace to you and peace from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.
         Those of you who were here last week know that the gospel lesson was the story about Mary and Martha, about Mary sitting at the feet of Jesus to listen, and Martha bustling around being worried and distracted. We talked about how much easier it sometimes is to keep busy, to be like Martha, rather than take the time to really sit still and try to hear what God is saying to us, like Mary. We talked about how difficult it sometimes is to hear what God has to say, because it is often not what we wanted to hear, and sometime requires a change in us that we are not prepared for. But in the midst of all that, taking that time to pray, as difficult as it may be, is always an encounter with grace.
         One thing I regretted about last week’s sermon was that we didn’t get a chance to talk more about prayer, about how we should come before God, how to listen for God’s voice, how to talk to God. How convenient it is, then, that this week’s scripture readings are about prayer! So we have a chance to talk about that, after all.
         It doesn’t seem like we should have to learn how to pray, does it? It is such a central part of faith and relationship with God, it just seems like we should be naturally good at it. And because we think we should be naturally good at it, it is hard to readily admit that we aren’t.
         But it turns out, people have wanted to know more about how to pray for a long time! That’s how today’s Gospel lesson starts out: with Jesus’ disciples asking him how to pray. They should know – they lived and walked with God incarnate. And yet even they had questions about it.
         The answer that Jesus gives them is a powerful one for our own questions about prayer, too. Many, many sermons could be preached on the Lord’s Prayer alone, let alone the other parts of this passage, but for today, let’s glean just a few points. First of all, when it comes right down to it, the Lord’s Prayer is pretty simple. It asks for some very basic things. It asks that we would remember God’s holiness. It is a prayer for sustenance (daily bread), for relationships (forgiveness), and for safety (lead us not into trial). Maybe we don’t always think to pray for these basic things, or maybe we do, but the point is that even these most basic needs are worth talking to God about. I think sometimes we get in our heads that when we pray it needs to be this eloquent, beautifully worded, important prayer – for someone in great need, or when we are enduring a great trauma, or when something very dramatic happens in our lives. Not so! “Give us this day our daily bread” is about as simple and mundane as it comes, but also tremendously significant, even life or death!
         A second thing to notice about Jesus’ instructions for prayer is that it is very honest. Again, it need not be this beautiful, poetic, insightful thing. God doesn’t want to see your best side; God wants to see you. God already told us he knows our inmost parts, so what are we trying to hide?
When I was a chaplain for one summer, I sometimes wrote prayers with the patients I saw. Some of these people had never prayed with someone before, or maybe even at all. So I started by simply asking them, “If God were sitting right here right now, and you could say anything to him, what would you say?” The answers I got were so moving and profound, mostly due to their honest simplicity! As they told me things, I jotted them down, then added a “Dear God” at the beginning and an “Amen” at the end, and voila: we had a prayer. And I would pray that prayer back to them, and they were amazed at how easy it was. Here’s an example from one patient battling cancer:
         Dear God,
I don’t really know how to talk to you. 
I just have to ask why – what have I done?
How can I make things better?
I noticed that I have been different this year… not a very nice person.  And my husband has gotten the brunt of it.  I apologized to him, but I pray that you help me be a better person so that I don’t do that anymore.
I don’t know what’s going on… I don’t know why I’m asking… maybe just so I can be a better person. 
I pray for my grandchildren’s health.
I’m always asking for help like that, and I don’t know why.
I don’t know why I’m not religious.  It’s easy to fall away when it’s not right there, I guess.
I’m just trying to figure this out, God.
Amen.

Have you ever prayed a prayer that sounded something like that? I think it’s one of the most beautiful prayers I’ve ever heard, and what makes it that way is its sheer honesty. It is a conversation with God.
Along with being honest, scripture tells us that prayer should be persistent. This is sort of a weird parable that Jesus tells his disciples, about a guy going over to his friend’s house at midnight asking for something to feed his unexpected guest. This takes borrowing a cup of sugar from the neighbors to a whole new level! But what we learn from this guy is that prayer is persistent, even nagging. Even more than that, it is shameless! Now, I wouldn’t dream of going to my neighbors at midnight and pounding on the door for a loaf of bread – that is shameless behavior. And indeed, the word that is translated here as “persistent” could actually also be translated as “shameless.” There are a lot of things that I’m embarrassed to pray about – “God doesn’t want to hear about that,” I think. But there is no shame in praying whatever is on our hearts.
Our reading from Genesis is similarly shameless, as Abraham literally bargains with God. God has said he would destroy the city of Sodom and everyone in it because they are so unrighteous. “Really, God?” Abraham asks. “Is that really the God you want to be? What if I found 40 righteous people in Sodom? Would you save it?” “Yeah, I’d save it for 40,” God says. “Well let me ask you this: how about 30?” “Yeah, I’d save it for 30.” “If it’s not too much trouble, Lord, how about 20?” “Yeah, I could do that.” And so on. Abraham is shameless! On my own, I would never think this sort of praying is appropriate – I still have in my head that prayer should be eloquent and respectful and lovely. But here it is, Abraham, one of the biblical pillars or faith, bargaining with God. When times get tough, when the stakes are high, this is sometimes how prayers sound. I have certainly wanted to pray some prayers like this in the past year! Because even though, “Thy will be done” may be a more faithful and trusting prayer, this sort of interaction is the sort of prayer that builds relationship with God.
And when you come right down to it, that is the most important purpose of prayer: to build a relationship with God. Indeed, “relationship” is a powerful definition of prayer. When we want to build relationships with people, can that happen if we never speak or write or spend time with each other? Not likely! In our most intimate relationships, we spend time listening, and sharing, and sometimes we argue and forgive, and go through bad times and good times together. This is the stuff marriages and best friends are made of!
And this is what God wants from us. God so badly wants to be in a close, meaningful relationship with us, that he became one of us, walked the earth, experienced what we experience, loved and lost as we do, felt joy and pain and humor and frustration. All this he did so that when Jesus then died on our behalf, taking all our sins with him to the cross, it would be done with a true knowledge of humanity, a true intimacy with each of us, so that we might then have a sense of just how much God loves us. That God would go through all of this for us!
And so, in response, we pray. We listen. We offer to God our simple requests and thanksgivings and questions. We bare our most honest hearts to a knowing God. We are shameless and persistent in our efforts toward conversation with a God who loves us.
Normally I end my sermons in prayer, but this time instead, I’m going to let you do the praying, by leaving a time of silence before closing this sermon, and then we’ll let the congregational praying continue in the prayers of intercession. There will be a time during the prayers for you to lift up your own joys or concerns, and I encourage you, in the interest of simple, honest, and shameless prayer, to do this aloud. Jan/Sharon will speak a petition inviting you, and leave a silence for you to offer up your prayers to God. For now, please offer your own silent prayer to help me close this sermon. Brothers and sisters, let us pray…
In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment