Friday, October 4, 2013

Happy birthday?

Now for a completely different story about life meeting ministry...

I had ordered a birthday present for Michael, but since it was coming from Hong Kong, it was a little late. It's a neon light of the Gibson guitar logo, something Michael wanted for his music room. It was supposed to arrive sometime after today.

So when I came home and found a package by the door, I thought that must be it! Michael loves opening packages, so I thought I would be cute and leave it in the box, and then put the whole thing in a gift bag - best of both worlds, unwrapping-wise!

When he came home, I presented it to him and told him he should get some scissors. He was all giddy (he already knows what it is, because I told him not to buy it for himself). As he opened it, I thought, "Gosh it is a lot smaller than I thought it would be," even as he said, "It's a lot heavier than I expected."

As he pulled it out the box, I saw it was a book... and I realized this was not at all the Gibson neon light, but rather something I had ordered at church: a new study Bible someone had recommended, and the 12 volume set of Feasting on the Word on CD-ROM, a wonderful preaching resource. I forgot that was also expected to arrive today!

"Oh... That's for me," I said, as he looked confused at the study Bible. "But it's a really fun thing for me!" I went on, trying to make it better. He laughed, and seemed content enough to have gotten to open a package. (Sort of like when kids like the box better than the gift itself.) Guess we'll do the whole thing over again later!

Meanwhile, yay! I got a present!

No comments:

Post a Comment