Thursday, December 20, 2012

Wish #2: Granted

In my very first post on the blog, I linked to a New York Times article about my Make-a-Wish experience. Here's a little more on that story. Playing or even sitting with the NY Phil was not my only option for a wish. I was also an avid soccer player, see, and the US Women's team had just won the World Cup, led by Mia Hamm. So, pretty high up there on my list of wishes was to go see the women play, and to meet Mia Hamm. I even admitted this on live television (Today Show or Early Show, can't remember which). I later learned that they tried to arrange for Mia Hamm to meet me in the green room following the concert, but it didn't work out. Oh well. I went on to play a lot of music and not nearly as much soccer, so I guess I made the right wish in the long run!

Fast forward 13 years. I admit that when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I thought, "Man, and I won't even get a wish out of this one!" Little did I know...

Tonight, someone from church gave Michael and me tickets for the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra Holiday Gala concert, a wonderfully fun concert with lots of little gimmicks each year. One they pulled this year was to have a Rochester Olympian conduct Leroy Anderson's "Sleigh Ride." I looked at Michael: "Do you think it's Abby Wambach??" I had learned she was from Rochester (Fairport, actually) when I was here interviewing for this call (job) during the Women's World Cup in 2011. She's a local hero! Well no, it was in fact Jenn Suhr, another Rochester native, and gold medalist in pole vault. But lo and behold, after Jenn's shining moment, it was announced that in fact Abby Wambach was in the audience that night, too! And she was sitting directly in front of us, about 8-10 rows!

At first I was too embarrassed to approach her, though many others did during intermission. (I know, shocking, right? Johanna, embarrassed?) But during the second half, I thought, "You know, I had cancer again this year, and maybe this time, I can meet a world-renowned soccer star like I didn't the first time!" Different cancer, different city in NY, same time of year, and remarkably full circle!

So after the concert, Michael and I waited around, and as she was leaving, I caught her arm. I introduced myself and put out my hand. "I'm Abby," she said, and shook it. "Can I tell you a quick story?"I asked. "I think you'll appreciate it." She said of course, so I did, telling her about my first diagnosis and wish, how I had thought about meeting Mia Hamm, how I had recently undergone breast cancer treatments, and what a coincidence it was that the next big soccer star was sitting a few rows ahead of me, so I wanted to take the chance and meet her. I finished with, "So, thanks for making my wish come true this time, too." She was very touched. Then her mom asked if she could take our picture. (I guess when someone says to your daughter, "Thanks for making my wish come true," you take a picture!) And then Michael took one, too. Then we parted, and she wished me good luck with everything, and congratulated me on beating cancer again. And so it was that I met Abby Wambach.

Pretty cool stuff. Day is made. :)


3 comments:

  1. Someday, when I grow up, I hope to be half as cool as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having watched you grow from a wee little one to the incredible woman you are today and following all your goings on along the way, I'd say the second wish coming true is pretty awesome! You are quite the inspiration Johanna!!

    ReplyDelete