Monday, February 10, 2014

Making colorful plans to celebrate

Today I finally picked up the phone to schedule my surgery. Of course, my surgeon's secretary wasn't in the office today, so it won't be official until tomorrow... but I have requested April 22 for what will hopefully be my LAST cancer-related surgery. By my count, this will be #8. Wow.

The day I saw the plastic surgeon last week, while I was in the waiting room, a friend of mine asked if I'd like to be on his team for the Rochester Color Run. If you are unfamiliar with these events, click here. Basically, it is a 5k where at various points throughout the race, you have color thrown on you, so you start with a white shirt and end in a blaze of color, and there is a party before and a big party after. Now that's what I call a 5k! The other thing about them is that you don't need to run it - you can run or walk or crawl, because it is not timed. It's just a fun way to get people out and moving. In addition, it supports a charity, and this year's charity is Teens Living with Cancer.

Michael and I had planned to do the Color Run last May, as well as some other 5ks, with the hope that an exercise goal we could work toward together would help us actually exercise. But then I had a mastectomy instead, so we couldn't. I've been getting an itch to try again...

Well, the date for Rochester's Color Run is May 24. So when I was called in for my appointment, I asked the nurse practitioner when I would be able to exercise again. She said 4-6 weeks after surgery. For an April 22 surgery, May 24 is perfect timing!

But best of all, what a way to celebrate. This falls at a time that is sort of my official "I'm done with cancer!" date, when I'm done healing from my last surgery. It supports a charity for teens with cancer, which is when and how this journey started for me. And what better way to celebrate than in a burst of color!

So we're registered. I can't wait. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment