Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sermon: I'm listening. (Or am I?) (Jan. 18, 2015)

Epiphany 2B
January 18, 2015
1 Samuel 3:1-10

            This week in confirmation class, we started learning about prayer – what it is, how we do it, what we expect to get from it, what it is like when we don’t get from it what we had hoped. We had a brief debate as to whether prayer is a one-way conversation with God, or two-way, or something else altogether that can’t be defined in our human words.
            Well, what would you say? I think most of us believe intellectually that prayer ought to be at least a two-way conversation – that is, not only do we ask God for things and then hope to see them come to fruition in a way we can recognize, but also sometimes God answers us in a way we can perceive. I suspect the reason the debate arose, however, is that this is not always how we experience
prayer. I suspect most of us have had the experience that we pray and pray for something to happen, but it doesn’t. Or we pray and pray for answers from God, but don’t get them. Or we pray and pray for guidance, but don’t receive it. For some of us, it may feel like prayer is often a one-way conversation, where we plead and plead, and God ignores and ignores.
            But I’m not so sure it is a matter of God ignoring our prayers so much as it is a matter of us not listening for the response. Perhaps that is why one of the lines that has grabbed hold of my heart this week is Samuel’s eventual response to the voice he keeps hearing: “Speak, for your servant is listening.” Three times he has heard this voice calling him in the quiet of the night. The author of Samuel tells us that Samuel “did not yet know the Lord,” and that in fact “the word of the Lord was rare in those days,” so naturally he did not suspect that this voice could belong to God. But the wise
old priest Eli perceives that it might be the Lord, and tells Samuel to respond accordingly. And so he does.
            I asked our Bible study this past week if Samuel’s response was ever their prayer – simply to say, “Okay, God, I’m listening. What have you got for me today?” I admit it is not often mine. I usually have a laundry list of things I need to ask God about, things I want or need, asking for guidance, or even offering thanksgiving or praise, but my prayers are so often a whole lot of me talking. It’s sort of like had a sweatshirt I had when I was young that said in bright colored letters, “I’m talking and I can’t shut up!” And while that is still pretty true about the way I interact with people, it is especially true about my prayer life: “I’m praying and I can’t shut up.” Perhaps the same is true for you. For me, I think one of the primary reasons I “pray and can’t shut up” is that if I stop and listen, I might actually hear God’s response – and sometimes God’s response is not something that I want to hear. Sometimes it calls me to something I don’t want to do, or suggests I accept something I don’t want to be true. But as I long as I “pray and can’t shut up” I never have to hear an undesirable response.
            But this innocent response from the young boy Samuel, this boy who did not yet know the Lord but had dedicated his life to serving God, shows that “shutting up” is one of the most important things we can do in prayer. “Speak, for your servant is listening.” My teachers in school always said, “You can’t listen if you’re talking!” and this is true in prayer, too. Listening is so hard to do, but it is an essential element of that two-way conversation that prayer should be. How can you really get to know someone, after all, if you do all the talking?
            In a novel by Czech author Milan Kundera, he tells a story about a woman who works in a restaurant, and although the restaurant wasn't very popular, people always came so they could talk to this woman.  She always listened and said, "Uh-huh," in the right places.  What I love about the way Kundera writes it is he says usually when people talk to other people, they wait for a chance to jump in and say, "Yeah, for me too, except for me..." and then talk about themselves.  But this woman wasn't like that.  She never said, "Yeah that's like me." She always just listened.
            What would prayer be like if we did as much listening as we did talking? If we just allowed space for God to speak to us, and said, “Uh-huh” in all the right places, and didn’t just come with a list of things we need to get off our chest, and did all the talking? What might we learn? How might it
shape us and form us? How might it affect our lives?
            Tomorrow is the day the nation celebrates the life and work of Martin Luther King, Jr. When we think of King, we imagine this giant – a man of faith, a skilled orator, a charismatic leader who made a huge difference in the character and direction of our country, and someone who continues to inspire today. What we don’t imagine is a man who would ever doubt. We hear, “I have a dream!” but we don’t hear, “God, I quit.” But he was that man, too. In one powerful sermon, he told the story of a night in January, 1956, during the Montgomery bus boycott, when he received a death threat on the telephone. He tried to let it go (he had received many others like it), but he thought about his wife, and his new sleeping baby, and he couldn’t get back to sleep. He went to the kitchen, and as he tells it, he “took his problem to God.” He was exhausted and about to give up. He asked God for help, and in return, he says, he “could hear the quiet assurance of an inner voice, saying, ‘Stand up for righteousness,
stand up for truth. God will be at your side forever.’” The inner calm that came from this small voice gave him the courage to keep going in his work. And aren’t we glad that he did!
            Could King have heard that voice if he was doing all the talking? Could he have been given that gift if he hadn’t first listened to God in his moment of need? For Martin Luther King, Jr., prayer was an essential piece of the fight for civil rights – both the speaking and the listening. God’s voice guided him and strengthened him. Somehow in the midst of violence and intolerance, King was able to find a way to listen for God’s voice, to say, even in his exhaustion, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.”
            It’s not easy, though, is it? The inner dialogue that constantly goes on in our heads poses a challenge – how do we quiet it? In addition, discerning God’s voice from all the other voices that seem to be pulling for our attention and telling us how to live our lives isn’t always easy. And then of course there is the problem that when we do finally discern God’s voice speaking to us, we don’t like what it is saying, and want to answer, “Return to sender. Try again.” I talked last week about my star gift of acceptance, and how hard it can be to accept what comes our way, and God’s call to us can be terribly hard to accept. Look at the call of Martin Luther King Jr. Sure it was a call to pursue righteousness and truth, but it also led to a lot of pain for him and his family, and of course eventually his tragic death. The call that Jesus issues to the disciples today in the gospel lesson – this, too, was a call into the unknown, and who would go that way without some trepidation?
            Yes, listening to God can have some terrifying consequences. But just like Martin Luther King trusted that even if he was too tired to go on, God would stand by his side and never leave him, we, too, must trust in that voice that comes to us. It comes in the quiet, when life calms down for a moment. It comes in the dark of night, when we are overcome with sadness. It comes persistently, tugging at us until we listen.
And listen we do: by the grace of God, who patiently whispers to us in the night, who holds our hand, who calls us to do God’s scary but fulfilling work. May the God who speaks to us also give us the courage to listen.

Let us pray… Speak, Lord, for your servants are listening… speak to us in the night… speak to us when we are tired… speak to us in sorrow, and in joy… Speak, Lord, for your servants are listening… In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment