Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sermon: Create in us clean hearts, forgiven and forgiving

Lent 5B
March 22, 2015
Jeremiah 31:31-34

            I have many wonderful memories of my grandparents – some are actual memories, some are memories of things I have been told about them, making them giants in my mind. But one of my favorite memories of my grandma June is a simple one from just a few years before she finally succumbed to Alzheimer’s Disease. We have a family tradition during Advent of candle-lighting, where we take turns lighting candles all around the living room, sharing memories or reflections on the season and singing carols. At this point, my grandparents were still living independently, but my grandma was already showing strongly some the effects of Alzheimer’s – she called people by the
My pretty grandma and me (circa 2007)
wrong names, she couldn’t follow a conversation, stuff like that, but she was still aware enough to realize she was doing it wrong. It was clearly very frustrating for this brilliant, talented, articulate woman. That night of candle-lighting, I remember her standing before us in the darkened living room, her face lit only by a few candles and the burning wick she was holding, and she said to us, “I don’t always remember people, but I remember how to love.”
            What more was there to say? As that nasty disease slowly took from us this bright woman, she forgot the particular details of life – who said what when, who is related to whom – but the last thing to go for her was her ability to be in relationship, her ability to love, presumably because it was also the very first thing she ever learned. Oh, that we could all forget the dirty details of life and remember only to love one another!
            “I will be their God, and they shall be my people…They shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity and remember their sins no more.” These powerful words are from our reading this morning from Jeremiah. The Bible, our story of faith, is full of good news, but to me, this is some of the best: that God desires a relationship with us so much that God not only forgives us our sins, but actually “remembers [them] no more.” God forgets our sins – can you imagine?
            What is so profound about this revelation is that it shows us that our God is a God of relationship, who will do (and has done) anything and everything to maintain a relationship with us. This little gem from Jeremiah is all the more poignant because of its larger context. Those of you who know your Bible know that the vast majority of the book of Jeremiah is doom and gloom, recalling
Jeremiah, by Michelangelo
all the ways that Israel has fallen short of their covenant with God. God has tried so many ways to reach the Israelites, but all they do is turn away, and Jeremiah is full of fear about that. But here, in chapters 30-33, we have what is known among scholars as the Book of Consolation: a brief respite from the doom and gloom to express instead God’s abiding love for us, and God’s promise to restore Israel. And this restoration begins with God forgetting our sins, and remembering only to love and be in relationship with us. In other words, it begins with forgiveness.
            Forgiveness is a topic that is consistently intriguing to me. It is a fairly common, well-known word, but I think so many of us have no idea what it entails. We have a vague sense from our liturgy that, at least where God is concerned, it involves first confessing our sins and wrong-doings, which is followed by the assurance of pardon from a God who continues to go to all lengths to love us. But this reality is hard to translate into forgiveness between people. With God, you see, I always know I’ll be forgiven. But actually being humble enough before another person to admit that I did something wrong, something that hurt them, and then not necessarily being assured of their forgiveness, is just not easy. It requires so much self-awareness, so much humility, so much vulnerability, and as much as we may like to restore our relationships with people in our lives, all that is quite a cost. It is often easier just to hold a grudge and maintain that I was right and you were wrong. Of course, if you have experienced this, you also know that it is terribly hard to truly love someone when holding the grudge is your mode of operation.
            But if we are called to be godly people, created in the image of God, then isn’t true forgiveness that restores relationship something to strive for? How do we do it? I read a wonderful article a while back called, “A Better Way to Say I’mSorry,” about teaching kids how to apologize, but the material is gold, even for adults. It describes a four-step apology, in which you first apologize for the specific thing you did to hurt someone (so not, “I was mean,” but, “I said this specific thing that hurt you”), then articulate why it was wrong (that is, how specifically it hurt the other person), then express your hope for how you will behave better in the future (as in, a positive action you will do in the hurtful one’s place), and finally asking for forgiveness. So instead of, “I’m sorry I was mean because I got in trouble. I won’t do it again,” the correct way to apologize would be, “I’m sorry that I
said no one wants to be your friend. That was wrong because it hurt your feelings and made you feel bad about yourself. In the future, I will keep such unkind words to myself. Will you forgive me?” It’s hard (I’ve tried it!), but it is a beautiful process because it reflects that the offender has made an effort to truly understand the other person’s feelings and needs, and has had to articulate aloud what was done that was hurtful. Being heard, and an effort at understanding – that is what allows relationships to be restored, and grudges to be forgotten. That is what allows true forgiveness to happen. That is what allows us to remember how to love one another.
            I understand that some types of forgiveness are too big or complicated for this model. It would be difficult to use this on someone with whom you didn’t have a loving relationship to begin with, for example, or someone you don’t even know but who, nonetheless, hurt you deeply. Perhaps it is those instances, especially, that make it so hard some days to pray that petition of the Lord’s Prayer, “Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.” I’m interested in God forgetting my sins – as I said, to me that is some of the best news in the whole Bible – but there are some other especially heinous sins that other people do that I don’t want God ever to forget, because I will never forget them, and I want God to be on my side.
            But there again is the good, though difficult, news: what we can’t do, God does. We struggle to forget the sins of others that have hurt us so, that have destroyed relationships, that have left us
broken. But God forgets. God puts, above all else, the promise to love us and be in relationship with us, even when we fall short, even when others fall short, even when we hurt others. God forgets our sins, and remembers always how to love.
            For our closing prayer today, I want you to try this exercise with me. First, think about something you have done that hurt someone else, something you wish God would forget. It can be big or small, it doesn’t matter. Imagine actually holding it in your hand. In the other hand, imagine holding something that you wish you could forget, some way that someone else has hurt you. As you hold those two things, I will read this passage again from Jeremiah, and while I read, imagine God forgetting that first thing – as indeed, God already has. As for the other thing, this one we will hold in prayer. So, brothers and sisters in Christ, let us pray…
            “This is the new covenant that I will make with the house of Israel, says the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. No longer shall they teach one another, or say to each other, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no more.”

            Gracious and merciful God, every day we encounter brokenness in the world, and the destruction of loving relationships. But you promise to forget our sins and that in all things, you shall be our God. Create in us clean hearts that are ready and willing to forgive others, so that we might be ruled not by the brokenness that pervades our world, but by the love that guides yours. In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment