Monday, November 2, 2015

Welcome Grace Victoria, Child of God

October 11 was my beautiful daughter's baptism day! And what a day full of joy it was. I love doing baptisms - it is definitely one of the best things about being a pastor - but this very special baptism I passed on to my dad to do. I was baptized by my grandpa (mom's dad) 32 years ago, and have always wanted my kids' grandpa to baptize them. And so it was. Dad preached and presided, mom sang a beautiful setting of William Blake's The Lamb, we had all the grandparents in town plus Grace's godparents, Will and Becca, and Michael's dear friend Stephen (who took tons of pictures for us!), and both of my congregations got a piece of the celebration pie, because the baptism was at Bethlehem and we had a lovely reception at St. Martin following it. It was a gorgeous day outside, and I truly couldn't have asked for more. I will include some pictures below.

Of course, even though I tried just to be Mom for this event, I couldn't help but see the event as an occasion for spiritual reflection. Below is something slightly adapted from my November newsletter article:

One question I as a pastor am often asked about baptism is, “Why do Lutherans baptize babies?” Wouldn’t it make more sense, some think, to wait until the child can decide for herself whether she wants to be baptized? Shouldn’t he have the opportunity to answer those important questions for himself?

All thoughtful and well-meaning questions – that is, if we consider baptism to be a work of ours. If baptism were something we do, well, then of course it should be our decision, and we should be equipped to declare our faith before we get the Holy Spirit descending upon us, the forgiveness of sins, and the promise of eternal life in response.

But it is not our work. It is wholly God’s gift, God’s work, not based one iota on our work or abilities. It is God’s gift of grace for us. My grandpa (the very same who baptized me) liked to answer the question about infant baptism by saying simply, "Who better to receive that gift than a child?" Adults? We overthink things. But a child - a child is only equipped to receive.

My grandpa's words came to mind as I watched my little girl receive this gift. Here was a small child who cannot feed herself, clean herself, dress herself, or even express her needs any more articulately than to cry. I joyfully care for her and provide for her needs in any way I can, not because of something she has done to deserve it, or even because she has asked for it, but because I love her with all my being. She receives that gift of love and care because she has no choice not to. 

On the day of her baptism, Grace Victoria showed me what it means to receive from God the gift of love and life with no pretense. Just as she receives all she needs as gifts given purely out of love, she received on that day the gift of the Holy Spirit, the forgiveness of sins, and life everlasting with an entirely open heart. Indeed, she had no choice not to. Would that we all receive God’s gifts so graciously!

Grace, her parents, and her grandparents

This gown was made for my Grandpa Dick (who baptized me) in 1917.
It was worn my my mom and all her siblings, my brother, me, and my niece.

"I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."
(Grace was also wrapped in her daddy's baptismal blanket.)

Parents and godparents - Becca Ehrlich and Will Platnick
Singing to Grace to calm her down!

Joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment