Friday, September 14, 2012

Angels and Bolters

Speaking of connections, today I made my first in-person connection with the Breast Cancer Coalition of Rochester (BCCR). What a list of wonderful services they offer! Several support groups of various types (including one for friends and family), informational gatherings for which they invite area doctors to come speak, even spiritual offerings (I was warned I may get tapped to lead one of these somewhere down the line!). I had a long chat with Holly, the head person of that, then attended their "Brown Bag" group that meets Fridays at noon. I was, of course, the youngest person in the room, but it was still nice to hear these women, some already triumphant, some still triumphing, over breast cancer. Laughter, tears, heart-wrenching stories, the whole bit.

One of the things that came up several times both in my meeting with Holly and in the brown bag group was "bolters." One lady said, "There are angels and there are bolters," that is, the people who stick by your side, and the people who can't take it, are too busy, whatever. Some women have had their boyfriend/spouse become a bolter when the s*** hit the fan. How devastating.

So today I have been reflecting on how grateful I am to have the angel Michael in my life: who, instead of running when he found out I had cancer, put a ring on my finger to show me he's here now and always, never leaving my side; who promises to be at every doctor appointment if I'll let him, taking copious notes to send on to my family who is so far away; who would even find a way to accompany me to every radiation treatment for 6 weeks if need be; who tells me that each new scar I acquire only makes me more beautiful because it adds to my story, my experience, my wisdom; who promises to tell me as often as needed that I am so beautiful on the inside that no extent of surgery could ever change that; who remains my rock (and sometimes tear soaker-upper) every day, even though I know how much he struggles with all of this. Hearing some of the stories I heard today, I am even more grateful that I found someone who will (who already does!) take seriously, "in sickness and health."

Thank you, my sweet angel Michael. You are a blessing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment