Monday, September 17, 2012

The "biopsy thing"

Actual name of the procedure I had today (I think): site select stereotactic excision biopsy, aka, "biopsy thing." (They have to ask me beforehand if I know what they are doing and where, and "biopsy thing" was the answer I gave, and they seemed satisfied with that.) It went well. Now that the novocain has worn off, I'm feeling the pain of having had an inch and a half incision in my breast and a hunk of tissue taken out, but that's to be expected.

For those who want details of what happened, they follow. For those who don't, skip to the next paragraph. "Site select" means that my breast was in compression for this thing, so they could choose very specifically what tissue they would take. "Stereotactic" is the name of the table on which I was lying - a table raised about 5 feet off the ground with a hole in the middle, through which I dangle my breast, and the surgeon works on it from underneath. "Excision" means this wasn't a needle biopsy, but a full incision where they took out a bunch of tissue. So I started with a mammogram, vitals, etc., then crawled up on the table and got "comfortable" (<-- used very loosely), then had some pictures taken, then received a mess of Novocain, which was definitely the most painful part. Much grimacing ensued. Then stuff happened that I couldn't feel, but at the end I had a little less tissue and a good sized incision (which connects two of my previous scars, so now I just have one big, strangely shaped one). The amount of tissue was about half an inch in diameter and maybe an inch or two long. It should be enough to determine for sure whether there is any cancer in there, or whether it is just atypical hyperplasia. After the bloody part, I rolled onto a gurney and into the next room, where the plastic surgeon sewed me up with inside, dissolving stitches, and put a glue "bandage" on top. Then one more mammogram for good measure, and I was out, about 2 1/2 hours in all.

I will have results from this adventure on Wednesday or Thursday. If it is cancer-free, I will have a lumpectomy a week from tomorrow (Tuesday next week), and then begin radiation. If there is cancer in there, I will have to have a mastectomy, which means I'll meet with the plastic surgeon and discuss reconstruction, and then mastectomy and reconstruction will all happen at the same time in one 6-hour surgery. Here begins (er, continues) the waiting game.

Fun fact: Today would have been my 13th anniversary of being cancer-free. So much for that, I guess, but praise God that I'm still Hodgkin's-free! Yay!

Okay, here are some highlights from the day:
* Some folks hadn't yet seen my fantastically gorgeous engagement ring, so I got to be all giddy about it with new people. Always fun.
* When I had situated myself on the table and had my breast in the "dangling position" through the hole, the surgeon came in and said, "Hey, how ya doing? Just hanging out?" Ha! Indeed! That about made my day.
* During this whole procedure, I have to have my head turned toward the wall, so one thing they do is assign one person to stand on the side of the table I'm facing and talk to me and hold my hand. It's so humane, so helpful, so sweet, and the lady who did it today I just love. (She said, "Oh yay! I get this job!") We ended up having a good talk about faith, about houses and places to live, about my Make-a-Wish experience, all kinds of stuff!
* The plastic surgeon who sewed me up was also really friendly and we chatted all the way through that. In case you wondered, he used to coach high school lacrosse when he was in med school, and he and his wife met over the anatomy table in med school.
* Just in general, everyone is so kind and considerate. They always introduce themselves, and say nice things, and make jokes, and express the appropriate level of concern and sympathy while still instilling confidence. I honestly have a good experience every time I am there. Even Michael and my uncle and aunt had a good experience in the waiting room - three different people came out to tell them what was happening, including the surgeon herself!

After the procedure, my aunt and uncle brought me home and we took it easy all afternoon, watching movies, reading, chatting. So wonderful to have people who love me so close by. And soon I have dinner with Michael to look forward to, eating a meal provided to me by my neighbor/colleague. Really, it's a pretty good life.

Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts today - I felt uplifted!

2 comments:

  1. Johanna, thank you for sharing your experience in such detail. You are taking away some fear in doing so. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! If anything good comes out of keeping this blog (which, it appears, it has!), then it is worth the effort. Thanks.

      Delete