Sunday, August 30, 2015

Hygiene (almost) plastic free and chemical-free

In a recent post, I told you about my efforts and successes in finding ways to cut back on plastic use, especially single use, in my cleaning routine. Before I go into the main topic of this post - how my personal hygiene routine has changed to use less plastic and chemicals - I wanted to direct you to this post about this journey I've been on, and also explain a little about why I'm writing about this on a blog called "Life Meets Ministry."

As you may remember, this interest all started with our Lenten series last spring on living simply. One area of simple living that I latched onto was creating less waste, and as a part of my exploration of that, I started learning about plastic. I was horrified to see pictures of God's beautiful creation covered in garbage that never had to be made in the first place, animals maimed and killed by our careless, disposable society, and pollution being pumped into the air and waters of this planet that was created to sustain us and provide for our physical needs. Way too much of this was caused by plastic, and so much of that plastic was stuff we didn't need in the first place. It was made only for the benefit of convenience (which is so close to sloth), and we have bought into it whole scale because who doesn't want life to be a little easier (sloth) or to have time to work a few more hours (gluttony, work-a-holism)? This isn't what God had in mind in Genesis about us being stewards of the earth. I began to think about it as a stewardship issue, taking better care of the gifts we have been given, and not squandering it by giving in to our disposable default.

It's also a stewardship issue in terms of the temple that is my body. I read a bunch about plastic, chemicals, and health. As more and more people are learning, the chemicals in plastic leach all kinds of gross chemicals into our food and environment. So does making it, and disposing of it (read: recycling doesn't make it all better). Many of these are cancer-causing, and as a too-many-times survivor of cancer, this struck a chord, especially as I expect my first child. And then of course there are many of the things that come in plastic, which are full of chemicals, many of them untested, some of them known carcinogens. This is certainly true with food (processed, additive-filled food comes in plastic...), but it is also true with a lot of personal hygiene products that allegedly make you clean. And we lather these mysterious, good-smelling substances full of untested chemicals all over our largest organ, our skin, and it soaks right in. See this video, The Story of Cosmetics, for more information. As it turns out, cutting out plastic from beauty products also manages to cut out many of the unknown chemicals.

So without further adieu, here are some of the changes I have made:

* No-Poo Method Hair Care - One of the first changes I made was to cut out shampoo/conditioner, because hair follicles are especially receptive to receiving chemicals. Yes, the lather is nice, and it smells so good, but at what cost? So I tried what is called the "no-poo method," which uses baking soda to clean and apple cider vinegar to condition. It was a rough go at first because my hair was used to being coated with shampoo every day. It over-compensated its oil production and got worse, as I tried to wash it less often. (There was a lot of braiding in those days.) After probably a couple months, though, it became awesome. I wash my hair twice a week now, making showers shorter, and I no longer have to shower every day because my hair isn't all greasy (yay, saving water!). As for my hair, it looks  and feels clean, and it curls more nicely and frizzes less, so I use no other products unless I'm getting fancy. So I buy the baking soda in a box, and the ACV in bulk (reusing a small bottle for pouring ease in the shower). And no, I don't smell like a salad - as soon as the ACV is rinsed, the smell goes away. (How-to: the ratio is one TB baking soda to 1 C water, and same for ACV. I mix each in a cup. Pour baking soda/water over hair, massage it in well - this cuts grease - and rinse. Repeat with ACV, making sure it gets all the way to the ends. Rinse. Remember to close your mouth and eyes for both!) NOTE: This doesn't work for everyone. Depends on your particular body chemistry.

* Branch Basics - I mentioned Branch Basics in my cleaning post, but I also have been using it as
body soap, and it is great. I dilute it and put it in a reusable foaming soap dispenser. I will tell you, my skin has never been softer and more moisturized - and this is coming from a pregnant lady, and usually pregnancy dries out your skin. I looked online for instances of softer, more moisturized skin during late pregnancy, and found none. So I'm guessing it must be a combination of taking fewer showers, using fewer chemical-laden products on my skin, and Branch Basics, which has coconut oil as one of its ingredients and no harsh chemicals for the others. I'm loving it.

* Natural salt/sugar scrub - A couple times a week, I also use a natural salt or sugar scrub. This lavender salt scrub is the one I'm currently using, made locally in my hometown. I've also used this pomegranate sugar scrub, which is made by my best childhood friend (very proud of her - she has her own business and designs all these body products!). Both were gifts, and I probably wouldn't have bought them on my own, but I have enjoyed them for those days when I want to rub something on my skin that smells yummy and makes me feel good. (They do both come in plastic tubs, however, but I understand scrubs are very easy to make at home, so these tubs could easily be reused for this purpose.)

* Norwex - Yes, Norwex again. I went on and on about it in my post on cleaning. They also have body care products, and I have their 3-pack of body cloths. They may seem like glorified washcloths, but they are so much better. Testimonials have said they take off make-up, help with acne... and while I don't currently have either of these needs, I can tell you that washing my face with them makes my face feel so clean and not at all dry. (I also have a bar of Neutregena face wash that always dries out my face.) But I can also use the cloth all over my body, and do, and it is so soft and gently exfoliates, making my skin feel smooth and wonderful and not dry. I love using these. Love it. And, it
is anti-bac, meaning as it hangs to dry the silver that is woven into it naturally kills mildew and mold so it doesn't start to stink. I wash it in the washer weekly.

* Leg-shaving without gel - One thing I formally enjoyed using but couldn't stand throwing away after was shaving cream. It broke my heart every time I threw an empty container away. Then I learned that exfoliating your skin first decreases bumps and such that cause razor burn, and you can shave with just water. So what I have found is that if I exfoliate with the Norwex body cloth and/or the body scrub, and then use just a little Branch Basics to make my legs slippery, I not only get a smooth and easy shave, but I also notice a very sweet, subtle smell that I think is actually just my normal body scent, since nothing else I'm using has a scent. I actually smell good, without all those fake smells! And, I kid you not, after I did this the first time, that was the first time that Michael ever said, "Wow, your legs are so smooth!"

Coconut oil - After all this, I generally have no trouble with dry skin. But if I do, coconut oil is my go-to. This is a magic thing. You can read countless articles on the hundreds of uses for coconut oil, from diaper rash to cooking to bug bites. My husband thinks it is gross that I plop some in the pan to
cook, and then I scrape off what's left on the spoon I used and rub it on my face (and then, of course, wash my hands again!), but it is just that versatile. This is a great moisturizer, and is also anti-bacterial, and, by the way, great for your health when consumed. Seriously, if you aren't aware of the amazingness, just do some google searches and you will find out.

* Buying in bulk - Just like there are some areas of house-cleaning where Michael put his foot down, there are some personal hygiene areas on which he is unwilling to give. We have compromised on my buying some of these things in bulk, for example, hand soap and shampoo for him. Our local co-op, Abundance Market, has this option. I bring in my own containers and fill them up, then use those to fill up our smaller containers at home. It is more expensive, because we historically have bought the very cheapest soaps, but the expense is because these are more natural products, so I'm cool with it (plus, they last for a long time when only one person is using them!). 

When all is said and done, I have eliminated: shampoo and conditioner, face wash, face moisturizer, body lotion, body wash, shaving cream, and loofa. Like with cleaning, I was a bit of a minimalist (aka low maintenance) to begin with, and never had many products, so you might eliminate even more. And the financial savings is great, too!

And once again, I feel better inside and out, and feel great about how much less waste I am making. I'm winning all over!

1 comment:

  1. top muscles gain supplement best way to lose weight And Fat Burning Exercises: Workout Motivation! - NDTV FoodSucking in your stomach hoping it will magically disappear? Want to fit into that gorgeous dress hanging in your closet? Desperately hoping you can pull off a swimsuit this summer? The only answer to your prayers, which you already know, is exercise. Like the wise say, there's nothing like starting today. Exercising is the best way to burn calories and build muscles, so don't make excuses. Instead, make progress. You need to take care of your body, and only you can make a difference. I'm not telling you it's going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it. Look in the mirror, note: that's your competition. You have to do it for yourself.
    foods to eat on a keto diet
    http://www.cureidea.com/top-weight-loss-diet-pills/

    ReplyDelete