Thursday, November 10, 2016

Election Day with Grace and Susan B. Anthony

November 10, 2016

Dear Grace,

This week has been a big one, both in our lives and in the life of America. A couple of days ago, America elected Donald Trump as president. Your dad and I, and many other Americans, have grave fears about this, but I won’t get into that just now. Instead, I want to tell you about earlier in the day, before the election results came in.

We voted!
You see, everyone expected that this would be the election when America would finally elect her first woman president, Hillary Clinton! Oh Grace, I was so hopeful – for you, and for all girls and women, so that you would grow up in a world where you would see that you really can be anything you want, even president!

It was only 96 years ago that women got the right to vote, in the passing of the 19th amendment. One of the people who worked tirelessly for this, though never saw it in her lifetime, was Susan B. Anthony. As it turns out, she lived right here in Rochester, and is buried at Mt. Hope Cemetery! So on Election Day, I dressed you in all white – the color that suffragettes wore as they fought for women’s right to vote. I also donned a white shirt and sweater. And together, we went to our polling site and proudly cast our vote for what I thought would be our first female president. What an emotional and exciting experience! I was so delighted to have you with me for it. We were making history together!

After we cast the vote, we took a field trip to Mt. Hope Cemetery, to visit Susan B. Anthony’s grave. This has become a Rochester tradition, to come by and leave “I voted” stickers on Susan B’s grave as a way to pay her homage and gratitude for the right to vote. I expected a lot of people, especially with a woman on the ballot for the first time. But Grace – it was insane! I had to park about a quarter mile away, and then we waited in line for 90 minutes! I understand it was at least that long a wait for the whole day. I popped you in the carrier on my back (which you love) and made the hike, then joined
Back of the line
the line. It was a gorgeous fall day – sunny and 60 degrees in November! – and in one of the most beautiful spots in town for fall foliage, which has lasted far longer than usual this year.

But even more beautiful than the foliage was the atmosphere. Being there made me so proud and grateful to be an American. People were kind to each other. When you wanted to run around a little, strangers smiled and talked to you, and held my place in line while I followed you to make sure you didn’t crash into a gravestone. When my 36-week-pregnant body was starting to get tired of standing with a 20+ pound baby on my back, people offered to hold you, or find me somewhere to sit. There were lots of women there of all ages, many dressed in white or even white pantsuits (a style Hillary Clinton is known for), but also lots of kids, and lots of men. There was a spirit of hope and gratitude there. Today, we all thought, history would be made!

Hillary’s campaign slogan was “Stronger Together,” and as we all stood in line, I really felt that. I felt it in the people there that day, so full of kindness and hope, and especially the people who made it a
Front of the line in view!
little easier for me to be there with you, my active toddler. And I felt it as I thought about those suffragettes, working so hard and taking so many risks for their right to vote – so that I could vote, today, for the first female president, and so that in 17 years, you can vote. Stronger together. We fight today for what is right, so that 100 years from now, our children’s children can have a better life. Stronger together! We work today toward positive change, toward progress, so that we can come closer to that “more perfect union” the founders talked about. Stronger together!

When we finally got to the front, we took a picture – one that I hope will be special to you for years to come, even though the results were not what we had expected and hoped for. We are squatting behind a stone marker covered in “I voted” stickers and a pile of flowers, notes, pictures, etc., grinning. I know you won’t remember the day, but I hope that picture will be for you a reminder of the greatness that America can achieve, and that in all things, we are stronger together.

After our picture, a reporter pulled us aside and asked to interview us. He asked, “What brought you here today?” Suddenly caught up in the emotion of it all, I got choked up and couldn’t speak. When I could, I said, “I want my daughter to know she was a part of this day.” Then I smiled and said again, with more conviction, “When Hillary wins, I want her to know she was a part of it.” (I made the Democrat and Chronicle with that quote! Read it here.)

Made it!

Well, sadly, Hillary didn’t win (though she DID win the popular vote!). But I still want you to know, my sweet, smart, talented, spunky, brave girl, that all those things I felt standing in line are still true. America is a place where passionate people can make a difference; where when you care deeply about something, you have the power to change things for a better future for your children; that it’s true that, as Hillary Clinton also said many times, “America is great because it is good,” and the goodness of people can be seen in so many ways.

I hope that you will always watch for it. I hope that it will bring you hope in dark times. I hope that you will embody that goodness for others. I think you will.

For now, we will still watch and wait and fight for that final glass ceiling to be shattered. And in the meantime, we will be goodness and kindness and light in the world. Lord knows, it is needed now more than ever.

                                                                                    Your proud mama

Dad rounds out the day by reading you Grace for President.

No comments:

Post a Comment