Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Sighing for a world in turmoil


"Likewise, the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words." 
(Romans 8:26)

While I was home a couple weeks ago, I met up with one of my oldest friends (since kindergarten!) who is an Ayurveda practitioner. Ayurveda is an ancient health practice that seeks to find balance in the body by considering how diet, activity, spirituality, etc. are working together. I asked to meet with her because, well, I'm trying to regain my health after the last two years, and because I want to have a baby and be the healthiest 40-week host to that baby as I can, not to mention a healthy mama once he or she comes out. My body has undergone a fair amount of trauma, and had all manner of things put into it to rid it of cancer, so finding a sense of balance again can't do me any harm, and will likely do some good.
So I made an appointment with her, during which she did a health assessment on me. One of the questions she asked was what practices do I currently do that are healthy, and what do I do that is not healthy for me. As I thought about it, I noticed I was breathing very shallowly. And I realized I almost always breathe shallowly when I am distressed about something, or thinking hard. I think we all do. I mentioned this to her. So it was no surprise that one of the things she recommended I try is to spend two minutes a day doing what she called “deep belly breathing”: breathing so deeply my belly expands. 
I immediately linked this to prayer. I thought about it in terms of the prayer my friend and colleague and Upstate NY Synod's Bishop-elect often mentions: "Breath of God, breathe in me." It is something I have tried to incorporate into my usual prayer routine, especially since she mentioned it. Deep breathing is, after all, not only healthy in a number of ways, but is also a spiritual practice in just about every religion.
This week it has taken on an even deeper meaning. The epistle the lectionary has appointed for this Sunday is from the well-loved 8th chapter of Romans, about how the Spirit intercedes for us in our prayers "with sighs too deep for words." How powerful this has been for me this week, as I have been overwhelmed with just how much there is to pray for, so many world conflicts, and many of them so complex. Even if I had enough words, I don't even know the outcome to pray for in some situations. What a comfort to think that even the Holy Spirit, when She intercedes for us, doesn't try to use words, but rather simply becomes those deep sighs, that Holy Breath, that transcends words. 
So this shall be my prayer: simply to breathe. To hold in my heart all those in need of prayer, and to breathe for them - because Scripture tells me that these sighs, far deeper than words will ever reach, are a form of prayer so pure that it is how God Herself chooses to pray.

*deep sigh*

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment