Sunday, June 9, 2013

Church Spy: Part II (First Unitarian)

Today Michael and I attended First Unitarian. This is one of the largest churches in the area, and one of the most generous, and though Unitarian ≠ Christian (though many Christians attend there), they do have Christian roots, and it shows. One of the two senior pastors at this church (the Mr. of a clergy couple) has just taken a new job working at the Unitarian Universalist Association in Boston, and this was his last Sunday. Scott, this pastor, was very helpful to Michael during a difficult time of Michael's life, so Michael was glad to be able to be there to bid farewell to his friend and hear him preach one more time.

For me, it was also good to be there. First Unitarian does a lot of things really well. They are large and incredibly active in the community. They host a lot of community events (from fundraisers to art shows - my uncle had a photography show there!), tutor in local schools, give money to a lot of organizations. I was amazed to learn that three Sundays a month, everything that people put in the offering goes to support organizations outside of First Unitarian. One Sunday supports First Unitarian's ministries and programs. Wow! (I was told that the Sundays they give away are consistently around $1000. To be able to give away $3000 a month!!) One of this church's claims to fame is that Susan B. Anthony was a member there, and the spirit of the work she did is still alive and well in the current community. I have taken an improv class at this church (The Spirituality of Improv, I think it was called), which is, first of all, super cool by itself, but also allowed me a chance to see some of their facility, which is clever and artistic and interesting and engaging. I was very impressed. Their sanctuary is also very cool and flexible. It may seem at first like a big cement box of a room, but the architectural choices are quite deliberate. The ceiling is shaped like a cross, so for a Christian like me, I was comforted to be "Beneath the Cross of Jesus" throughout the service. The skylights are placed intentionally for the sunlight to shine through in a particular way. The walls are covered with long, woven hangings in different colors - enough color to be interesting, but plain and clean enough to avoid distraction. A screen is placed up high and to the side, quite visible without blocking or distracting from anything. The front of the sanctuary displays some sort of art that is in keeping with the theme of the month. Today was a 9x12 canvas, created from an oil painting of a serene scene in Durand Eastman Park, painted by a local artist. I love it.

For those unfamiliar with a Unitarian service, this is what it is like, at least at this particular church. (The nature of Unitarianism, though, is that it is open and welcoming to all walks and traditions, so I imagine churches and their practices are as varied as the body of people that make up the tradition!) Someone with a Christian upbringing would find it quite familiar in many ways. Today's service started with a "Call to Worship," played by the band, which was a very talented group playing in a sort of jazzy, bossa nova style. All their songs were intentionally chosen to support the theme. Then a welcome from a person on the ministry staff, and some announcements. Then a chalice lighting - the chalice is the primary symbol of the Unitarian faith. Together, as it was lit, we said, "We gather this hour as people of faith, with joys and sorrows, gifts and needs. We light this beacon of hope, a sign of our quest for truth and meaning, in celebration of the life we share together." Not Christian, but also not un-christian. This was followed with another song by the band.

The next piece was called "Opening Words," and it was just for me. Pastor Kaaren, the other senior pastor, led this. I know Kaaren because she was also in the aforementioned improv class. She recently had some major medical issues and had to cut way back on her work hours. She said that her doctor had written her a surprising prescription: "For two days of rest." She needed to simply rest for two days, and this was her doctor's note to do that. He said she could give that to her boss. (Funny thing - I think the congregation might be my boss, which is what she said, but really, God is my Boss, and that Boss actually already "prescribed" one day a week of rest. Interesting...) She talked about how important rest is to delight, which is their theme for June. I couldn't help but think of my efforts these days to find joy. I will write a separate blog about more of these reflections. At the end of her opening words, she said she had given everyone the same prescription - sure enough, they were tapped under our chairs! Very cute. I loved it.



I'm gonna go ahead and say it's fine for any of you to use this prescription, too. :)

So as I said, the theme for June is "Delight." This was somewhat trumped, however, by the fact that this was Pastor Scott's last Sunday - it was more about saying goodbye than it was about delight. There was another song after opening words (this was sung congregationally - "The Word" by Lennon/McCartney), then the offering (offertory song was "Pennies from Heaven," haha), and then a shift in the theme from delight to goodbye. Kaaren read a poem she had written several years ago about goodbyes - very moving. Silence, and then another song. One more poem, and then it was time for the sermon. Scott offered a lovely reflection on his discernment, being very vulnerable about the struggle involved in such a difficult decision to leave a place he loves. He reflected on what this congregation has taught him, and how they have helped shaped him into the Scott he is today, and prepared him for this next step in his life. It was really quite nice, and very well delivered - no Jesus, of course, but he did at least draw from a passage from the book of Hebrews! (10:24-25: "And let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another." Funny that he would choose to quote what is one of the most Christological books in the Bible!)

After the sermon, some music for reflection, followed by a congregational song which was chosen as a farewell for Scott. And finally, a sort of communal sending, said while holding hands: "Whatever we can do or dream we can do, let us begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it; may we ever be bold in our living and our loving." I gathered that these are always their closing words, since many had it memorized. (I couldn't say it because my hands were busy being held and I couldn't hold the bulletin to read it.) Again, nothing I disagree with, per se, but given that I'm used to the charge to live boldly and lovingly coming from the words, "Go in peace, serve the Lord. Thanks be to God," it felt a bit empty to me. No, maybe not empty; just lacking in power. I mean yes, I can dream, but I don't believe I empower myself to fulfill those dreams. God empowers me to do that - my job is to listen to that call. The boldness with which I live and love comes also from the assurance I find in Christ, and has less to do with magic or genius. But of course, this language wouldn't fly with a good sized chunk of the Unitarian crowd, so it would seem the words we (well, they) spoke were just right for the majority of the people gathered there this morning.

General observations:

* There is a lot of love in that place. You feel it in the energy, you see it in the smiles, and in the way people greet one another. You hear it in the exceptional welcome of people from all walks of life. Oh, that the church could offer such a welcome in all places to all people!

* I'm a little jealous of their flexibility. The space is flexible, for sure. They can go to town on a theme, even rearrange the orientation of the sanctuary if they like, and they have the staff to do it, with many talented people whose jobs are as specific as "worship decor." Their themes come from whatever strikes them as interesting or important, and they have any text in the world to draw on to enhance it. On the other hand, part of what makes my ministry so interesting is that I do have one text in particular that I view as sacred: the Bible. And I believe that God speaks an important word through this text. And when I am tied to something, there is less risk of making worship about me and whatever I happen to be going through. It can stay focused where it should be: on God, and God's Word to us. I have always worked better with structure, and the liturgy and tradition of the church, and the biblical text, certainly do provide that! Still... utter freedom in worship planning is fun sometimes. (To a point of course - I've never wanted to toss out the Bible completely! I do want to stay focused on God and God's Word!)

* For my Christian self in a Unitarian church, there is enough familiar to make me feel comfortable, and as long as I don't expect to hear the Christian language to which I am accustomed, it's fine. It's not worship, really, but it is a spiritual experience. I can see why the Unitarian church is growing, especially among the infamous "none" segment of society ("nones" being people who don't identify with a particular religious tradition). I can also see why this particular church would draw people - the musicians were talented, the music was very impressive, and the speakers were excellent and relevant. Though Scott reflected particularly on his discernment and saying goodbye, it brought up for both Michael and me different things in our own lives, and helped us to reflect on them. (Notice - a "relevant sermon" is not equal to "made pop culture references" or similar, but rather that it caused people to reflect on things that are important to their lives right now.)

* Still, as a Christian I found the experience lacking. There was nothing outside of myself to hold onto. I mean, I do all right by myself, but I fail a whole lot of the time, and to rely completely on myself, my boldness, my love, my ability to listen, my empowerment to serve... I just know it's not going to cut it. I find such strength in knowing that someone much more powerful than I has me covered, that my sins and shortcomings are going to be (already are!) forgiven, that none of this depends on me but rather on something - and someone - so much greater and more powerful than I am. The freedom that this belief offers allows me then to serve with joy, not with the pressure that all this depends on my own goodness, or even the goodness of those around me.

* Related to that, there wasn't anything liturgical to tie me in with the other people there. That is, there was nothing sacramental. We lit the chalice and said words together, but I couldn't actually see the chalice because of where we were sitting. Plus I was reading and looking down and so I wouldn't have seen anyway. We kind of sang some songs together, but it wasn't with the gusto with which a bunch of Lutherans sing. We held hands at the end. There was a general feeling of community and fellowship, but again, nothing outside of ourselves to tie us together. No common baptism. No communion. I suppose our common humanity brought us together, and perhaps that is sacred enough for those gathered. But for me, I felt that piece was missing.

Overall, the experience was engaging and a worthwhile way to spend an hour. I'm not sure at this point what I might take back for my own ministry, but I will let that simmer for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment