Sunday, June 23, 2013

My heart is bursting!

After a couple weeks of feeling "pretty good" and one week of feeling "pretty darn good!" I decided it was time to get myself back in the pulpit. I had planned for a while to be back in worship in a sort of leadership role by today, because there was a baptism at Bethlehem this morning, and a congregational meeting at St. Martin. We had a supply preacher lined up, so I was going to lie a little low and let him do most of the work. But I couldn't resist. I have been feeling so good these days, I didn't see any reason not to preach, too. (And with a Gospel text as colorful as the Gerasene demoniac... I mean, demon possessed pigs running off a bank into the sea to drown themselves?? This stuff preaches itself!) So on Wednesday this past week, I decided I would jump back in with both feet - preaching, baptizing, schmoozing, the whole shebang.

At that point, I had no idea just how much I was getting myself into! (In a really good way!)

I very quickly saw at Bethlehem that most people in church were wearing pink tie-dyed shirts - in honor of my return! So sweet! One member of the congregation was tie-dying shirts for her Relay for Life team (I think?) and went ahead and made some for people in the congregation to wear today. They all said, with such happy smiles, "We're so glad you're back, pastor!" Boy, I was glad to be back!





As I said, there was a baptism at Bethlehem, a really nice young family who has been involved but with young children has not been around much. But now they were back with a vengeance - the family filled up three or four pews! And they were so thrilled to be there, all looking so very happy. And so naturally, I was practically bouncing off the walls. A baptism - what a day to come back! I was grinning from ear to ear, wanting to talk to everyone and greet everyone. I kept telling myself, "Johanna, save some energy for St. Martin," but I couldn't contain it.

Worship was beautiful, one of those days when everything seemed to fit perfectly with everything else. There was even a flute/guitar duet (they played for both churches). Little Ryan John only made a little fuss, and was a perfect angel while I walked him up and down the aisle, introducing him to the congregation (and I only cried a little - I've yet to make it through that part without crying... oy vey!) The family was immensely grateful for the warmth and welcome the good people of Bethlehem offered (even a cake - see above!). And I continued to emotionally bounce off the walls.

On to St. Martin. As per usual, I slipped in quickly and ran up the stairs. I greeted people as I saw them, tried to catch up with people as much as I could in a short time. We had a pretty decent turn out, which pleased me for a hot summer day! (And no A/C...) When I said during the welcome how glad I was to be back, they burst into applause. Aww. :) It was such fun to do the children's sermon again - I've missed interacting with them! After worship we had our annual congregational meeting, which went rather quickly. In place of my report, I said the deepest thank you I knew how - for all that they have done for me in the past year, all that they have given me, all the ways they have inspired me. As I had at Bethlehem during announcements, I told them that no words could express how deep my gratitude is for them and their graciousness for me as I've taken this time to heal. I am so, so blessed, and my heart is over-flowing. "Keep being the church!" I charged them. I closed the meeting in prayer, we adjourned...

And then my council president said, "So, we didn't just stay for the meeting. We also have a surprise bridal shower for you downstairs!" Total surprise. I mean, I knew they would do something (they wouldn't do nothing!), but I had no idea it was today. I hadn't heard anything about and wasn't expecting anything, per se, except that I knew they would do something because that's who they are. There were a couple hints: someone asked me where I was registered; someone asked me last week, "How many showers are you having?" and I said, "Just the one for sure, maybe something at home, unless you know something I don't know!" and people got all shifty eyed; my council president was awfully insistent that I not preach, and really take it easy today; stuff like that. But even Michael kept it a secret! That rascal. It didn't hurt, of course, that I was gone for five weeks - much easier to keep a secret when I'm not around to hear the announcements! What makes it even better is that Michael's mom has been in town this weekend from Virginia, so she was there for it, too! She missed the other one back in April, so I was SO glad she could be here for this one.

The party was a lot of fun. A few games, like every table of people had to sing us a song with the word "love" in it (they did very well, I think we may have some new choir recruits!). There was a sheet with several Bible verses about love or marriage with missing words we had to fill in. There was a trivia game about me and Michael. There were LOTS of sunflowers! And delicious finger foods. Unfortunately (fortunately?) our congregational meeting was short, so we were an hour ahead of schedule and we had to call BLC people to come much earlier than we thought! But they came, and there was plenty of food for everyone and lots of happiness and smiles. And SO MANY GIFTS! Michael and I were overwhelmed by people's generosity and thoughtfulness. Totally bowled over. Wow wow wow.

If I wasn't feeling loved and blessed already (but believe me, I WAS), there was no mistaking it today. I am so, so lucky to be a part of this beautiful body of Christ. I have no words to describe it. Thank you God!

(Needless to say, we all came home and totally crashed. So tired, but so very happy.)

Homemade favors, filled with candy.  

Recipes for us! 

Bride, groom, and mother of the groom.


Food table (and this was before BLC's food came!)


Someone donated these to the garage sale! Nothing wasted. :)


Beautiful cake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment