Thursday, September 26, 2013

Knowledge is Power: Happy Mesothelioma Awareness Day!

I was thinking the other day how quickly things like, "prophylactic mastectomy" roll off my tongue, and I assume everyone knows what they mean, as if I've forgotten that 18 months ago, I had no idea what that meant. I could not perceive what happens when someone has a mastectomy, and certainly not reconstruction. This was just not a part of my knowledge base - why would it be?

As I'm sure you have heard before, early detection is key in many cancers, and detection can happen when you know something about the disease. Someone approached me telling me today was Mesothelioma Awareness Day, and asking me to spread the word about this little-known but deadly disease, caused by asbestos exposure. This is the blog she wrote about it, with eight things you should know about it.

Read it. Learn about it. Knowledge is power - education saves lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment